japanese knotweed

Has anyone had any success in eradicating this terrible annoyance?
Thanks, Cg

There has been a lot of discussion here about that topic. If no one responds, you can do a search of this group using "Japanese knotweed" as key words. http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

not growing back with its usual gusto. Chopping it down or rooting it out are useless. It starts panicking and then grows and spreads even faster. Poison is what I've reluctantly resorted to, Roundup extra strength.
Swyck

I saw a website that recommended injecting herbicide into the main stem.

My son moved to a place with a walled city garden which was wall-to-wall,solid 12ft high JKW. We cut, dried and burned it, and as soon as new shoots appeared (fast) they were pulled up before they reached ankle height. Pulling does more damage to the plant than cutting.
You really have to keep on top of all the re-growth before it develops enough leaves to photosynthesise. That way you gradually starve the roots to death. Don't compost the pulled shoots or throw them on waste ground. It was a continuous effort for two growing seasons but it worked.
Janet.

One of the only plants I'll haul out the big guns for. You can pull it until the cow come home, you might succeed, if you're vigilant enough.
You can hit it with Roundup as it flowers, for some reason the plant is very weak then and susceptible. Follow up any stragglers in 6 weeks. I dislike using chemicals, this is one of two plants I will use them against. The other is poison ivy.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA