japanese beetles

My local nursery told me that the damage being done to my sandcherry and weeping cherry trees are being done by japanese beetles. I've fished a few out of the pool and I know what they look like, but all the time that I check the trees, never have I seen one on or near them. Do they come out at night? How can I not see them? We sprayed a chemical that the nursery sold to us but I can't tell if it's working. Any suggestions or info on these little critters is greatly appreciated. C in upstate NY(zone 5)

Here at least they fly around mostly at day. At lest, that's when my trap catches them. One trap has caught literally several thousand of them.
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:56:55 -0400, Darren Garrison

What kind of trap is that?

Just google "japanese beetle trap". There are multiple models of them-- but they all boil down to a pheromone lure over a bag. The beetles fall into the bag and can't fly out again. I bought mine at Wal-Mart, but I'm sure you can get them anywhere with a garden center.

trap catches them. One trap

but they all boil down to a

out again. I bought mine at

I have read that the traps actually can cause more harm than good as they attract the beetles to your yard and unless everyone in the area has such a trap, you end up attracting more than you kill.
Vox Humana wrote:

Placement is extremely important with the traps. They need to be placed away from the area of the plants that the beetles bother (in my case Dahlias). They do such a good job of attracting and catching the beetles it is NOT necessary for a the neighbors to have them (unless you have really a lot of beetles). Since I started using them I have very little damage to my Dahlias.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

The one I have (don't remember the brand-- maybe Ortho?) says that it controls 1/8th square acre. The way I figure it, I can't kill every june bug in my area, but at least the thousands I do kill are off my plants and will not be laying eggs.

I've read that, too, but all I know from personal experience is that my canna lilies, which were being utterly destroyed by the beetles, are now virtually beetle-free and the flowers actually stay in bloom instead of being eaten away as soon as they bloom. I live in a rural area filled with open fields and woods, so placing traps everywhere wouldn't be feasable.
The few japases bettles I see out here don't bother my I.Canna ( canna are NOT lilies ), but I also watch out and distroy their grubs when I find them. Their's Milky Spore which you can put on the ground which helps kill the groubs from the JB's.

Telescope Buyers FAQ

I use a plastic type by Teece. Quart sized green plastic with screw on yellow plastic veins.
Tom
--
Chris: "Dad, what's a blowhole for?"
Peter: "I'll tell you what it's NOT for and then you'll know why I can

Same here, they are most active around 11am to 2 or 3pm. I have caught literally 2 full quarts of them so far. Picture 2 quart mayo jars full. THOUSANDS! This year is the worst in 3-4 years.
NY Zone 6.