Jalapeno Conspiracy

Page 2 of 2
Jack Schmidling wrote:

You're pampering the plants, and picking the peppers too early.
When buying jalapeos at the grocery store, look for peppers that have cracks in them, or are turning red. They will be the hotter ones because they are more mature and/or grown when the plants were more stressed.
When growing your own, leave them on the plants a while after they get big. Wait until they have stopped growing for maybe a week (or you can wait and pick them red)
Or the seed company may have mixed up the seeds and you really got one of those cursed mild jalapeo varieties.
Bob

I feel yer pain, little brother. A farmer down here in the chile capitol said that the chiles on the ends of the field that got less water were hotter. And to watch your variety. hth Edrena
Jack Schmidling wrote:

I've said over the past few years that the jalapeos taste like concentrated Bell peppers.
My friend agrees
I like them for substituting green peppers for taste, a little goes a long way in cooking but it's missing something. The jalapeo taste.
I believe it is a conspiracy.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Grow Serranos or Thia Piguinos. If ya want some of our Thais, eat my SPAM to e-mail me.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Thank you. I have been reading this thread (which I started) for a week and tasting jalapenos from the garden and the supermarket.
They are everything that has been said about them.... about the nicest pepper on earth but they are not hot anymore.
They, like everything else, have been dumbed down for the mushbrained masses.
If I come across a hot one, I will save the seeds and try to re-culture them.
We have been screwed again by those who "know" what we should like.... Wonder bread, Bud, chicken breast and now sweet jalapenos
js

Is there such a thing as an heirlooom pepper seed exchange? Like for tomatoes?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Yes, several of them, Google will show the way. In addition several seedsmen rate their jalapeno's as to heat. I don't grow jalapeno's but the local nurseries carry both the TAMU (Texas A&M University) mild and the hotter versions. Keep it in mind though that jalapeno's are one of the mildest chiles out there.
George
In article snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net says...

There are lots of places that sell seeds. I bought from this place earlier in the year:
http://www.tomatogrowers.com /
and they were dependable and had a good selection. Hot peppers are one of the hardest seeds to start and they take forever to get to a healthy seedling that can be put out. The hottest pepper to grow easily are Caribbean red habeneros. Although I did get some hot pepper seedlings started from seed, my local nursery had lots of red hab seedlings and I loaded up on them for the garden this year. It's a lot easier just buying the seedling and be done with it.
Jalapenos never were hot IMHO. They're usually listed around 3000 Skoville Units whereas red and yellow habs run up to 300,000 Skoville units. Even chili peppers for hot dogs are an order of magnitude hotter than jalapenos. I gave up growing jalapenos years ago. Habs produce more per plant and you can make a salsa with them that will make everyone who eats it run to the bathroom to clear their bowels. It's nothing but fun when habenero harvest time comes which should be in a couple of weeks here.
*snip*

i've never thought that they were that hot either........now my tabasco and cayenne this year have been outstanding. brings you to tears. ate a cayenne with lunch yesterday, it pure made the inside of my nose burn. hot peppers are a great way to open the sinuses!
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:38:20 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

www.seedsavers.org
http://www.seedsavers.org/membership.asp
Charlie