Jade Tree's Mystery Nemesis

Fellow Plant Lovers, A frightening thing is happening to my Jade tree. It has a white, sticky substance popping up all over it, which proceeds to eat away at leaves until they rot off. It leaves only a stump of a stem when it's done, and eats whatever new leaves try to grow. It usually first appears at joints, where the leaves start from the stem. Sometimes spots appear on leaves or at their edges. When I try to wipe off the larger patches, white filaments like spider webs will pull away. I had the impression that it's some kind of fungus and have used various fungicides like tea tree oil and nystatin ointment, to no avail. Full strength tea tree oil works, but that kills the leaves too. But nystatin doesn't faze it. None of my other house plans are affected. Anyone seen this before? Any idea what to do about it? Thanks for any enlightenment, Les
It may be powdery mildew. If it has fire blight, if you fertilize with nitrogen, it will multiply the problem. Don't really have the answer.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Jade tree - like a jade plant commonly sold as a houseplant, but bigger?

Most likely sticky substance is insect waste, homoptera types, mealy bugs aphids etc. Webbing suggests spider mites. Shake over white paper and you can see them. My wager is on mealy bugs. In any case repeat treatments of your choice will be required.

Mealy bugs LOVE jade plants. Get a Q-tip soaked in alcohol and touch one of the white spots with it. Now look at the Q-tip. Is there a little dark bug stuck to the cotton? If so, that's a mealy bug and the white stuff was its hiding place that dissolves in alcohol. You can go all through the whole plant killing them like that. It takes a while but it works. Do it every day for a week or so and you'll have things under control.

wrote in

It is but you don't actually rub/scrub. Just touch the spot. The webbing will dissolve and the bug will stick to the Q-tip. Just lightly touch the spot with a s/wiping motion.