Jade plant help

I have two Jade plants on both the leaves have started becoming yellow/red

on one of the plants the leaves are no longer stiff and strong, but a little wrinkly and and feel soft. this is on most leaves

on the other plant again some yellow and red leaves, but i new leaves growing are an odd shape - they look like the clubs picture in a packet of cards.

both plants are next to each other on my window sill. they get a lot of light, but not directly as i have a net curtain between the window and the plants.

I rarely water it..but i cant be sure if anyone else in my house hold has been watering it.

any advice?

Reply to
beauticollision

It has been years since I had a Jade but if I remember correctly, it does sound like too much water and check the air circulation around the plants.

Reply to
mj

Wrinkly and soft is what happens when the plant has been without water for along time and is using up the reserves in its leaves. You could check how dry the soil is (tip the plant out out the pot if necessary).

Yellow and red shouldn't happen, and the misshapen new leaves make me suspect some pest. If you can't see anything obvious, look for red spider, which will appear as a light dusting mainly on the undersides of the leaves.

Reply to
kay

A Jade plant is unlikely to die without water. But, if watered twice a week or more, it may quickly turn to mush and die. Empty the saucer within one hour of watering. One, and only one person should water any given plant. During the winter I water the jade plant once a month or hold off water until I can see one leaf beginning to wither. Other times the Jade plant gets watered twice a month, perhaps a little more than a cactus plant.

If your Jade plant has red leaf edges, it is telling you it is getting enough light. I suspect yellowing of the leaves may mean too little light or burning from fertilizer (or other chemical). The jade plant is an "easy care" plant--too frequent overwatering is its biggest threat. Tu

Reply to
Phisherman

Yellowing and shriveling is from lack of water, the leaves turning reddish is from too intense sunlight, this is common with jade plants in windows.

I have a few jade plants growing outdoors, in the ground, they get no care whatsoever and flourish because in the ground they need no care, they even propogate by bits falling off and rooting. But yours are in pots, and you don't care for them nor do you have any idea who is caring for them if anyone... so WTF do you want us to do, do you have any children, do you at least pay child support, I bet you don't feed them either, you probably don't know their names.

You should hire a plant nanny... sounds like your potted plants need repotting, and then a modicum of basic care... by your own words you admit that you're too irresponsible to care for one of the easiest plants possible.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Why is it that you have to find the most destructive way possible of dealing with people? Any apparent joke that you make will be at the expense of somebody else. You constantly mock and never praise, you see the worst and never enjoy. You constantly carp about other people's behaviour, how they are doing wrong, they are cheap, they are careless, etc etc. If humanity is such a trial to you why deal with others at all? Why not pull the plug on that computer and sit and fester in your own misery and leave the rest of us alone. You are a sorry specimen when the only face you ever show is being mean and petty to strangers who have done nothing to harm you.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott