Ixora

I am new to the South Florida area (Broward) and I am in the process of redoing some landscaping around my screen enclosure. I was told that Ixora would have potential to be a good low hedge if pruned properly. Is this true and if so, then how do I prune them to grow denser?
Any input would be appreciated.