It's more of that Identify this strange plant in my garden time!

It's only the second year in this house and garden. I've 2 strange plants that I think are weeds but I'm just a beginner.
1st plant is http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchman171/5902921745/in/photostream and http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchman171/5902918643/in/photostream
2nd plant is http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchman171/5903479244/in/photostream and http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchman171/5903477954/in/photostream
for what it's worth we are in zone 5 b Ontario Canada HOWEVER the previous were British and imported a number of flowers from their homeland to this lot.
My wife and I are under the assumption they are weeds however.

I'd have said that was Herb Robert, but i've only ever seen it with a pinky flower. The foliage looks the same so its in the species geranium/cranesbill family.
writes

This is the white form of Geranium robertianum (herb robert). Herb robert is a common weed in Britain, but is also native to much of North America. The white form occurs wild, but is also occasionally cultivated.

This looks to be Leonurus cardiaca (motherwort). It is a British native (though I haven't seen it in the wild). It is also native to most of North America.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

so do you know what use motherwort has please Stewart? I assume it has a herbal use???? A name like that brings brewing to mind - vinegar/beer???????

A nation of brewers.
<http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h265.htm
Remedies For: Nervine, emmenagogue, anti-spasmodic, hepatic, cardiac tonic, hypotensive.
Motherwort is used for menstrual and uterine conditions as well as in heart and circulation treatments. It is valuable in the stimulation of delayed or suppressed menstruation, especially where there is anxiety or tension involved. It is a good relaxing tonic for aiding in menopausal changes. Eases false labor pains.
An excellent tonic for the heart, strengthening without straining. It is considered to be a specific in cases of tachycardia (heart palpitations), especially when brought about by anxiety and other such causes. It may be used in all heart conditions that are associated with anxiety and tension. Chinese research referred to in Potters Cyclopedia found that it both reduced blood platelet aggregation and decreased levels of blood lipids.
Combinations : May be freely combined in any prescription, especially with Hawthorn.
Infusion: pour a cup of boiling water onto 1-2 teaspoonfuls of the dried herb and leave to infuse for 10-15 minutes. This should be drunk three times a day.
Tincture: take 1-4ml of the tincture three times a day.
<http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Leonurus%20cardiaca Motherwort is especially valuable in the treatment of female weaknesses and disorders, allaying nervous irritability, inducing quiet and passivity of the whole nervous system[4]. It is also seen as a remedy for heart palpitations, it has a strengthening effect, especially on a weak heart[254]. The antispasmodic and sedative effects promote relaxation rather than drowsiness[254]. The leaves are antispasmodic, astringent, cardiac, diaphoretic, emmenagogue, nervine, sedative, stomachic, tonic and uterine stimulant[4, 9, 21, 46, 165, 222]. They are taken internally in the treatment of heart complaints (notably palpitations) and problems associated with menstruation, childbirth and menopause, especially of nervous origin[238]. Although an infusion can be used, the taste is so bitter that the plant is usually made into a conserve or syrup[244]. An alcoholic extract is said to possess superior action to valerian (Valeriana officinalis)[240]. The plant has been found effective in the treatment of functional heart complaints due to autonomic imbalance, and also as an anti-thyroid treatment, though it needs to be taken for several months for these effects to be noticed[244]. The whole herb is harvested in August when in flower and can be dried for later use[4]. It should not be prescribed in the earlier stages of pregnancy or where periods are heavy[238, 254]. A homeopathic remedy is made from the plant[9]. It is used in the treatment of heart complaints, amenorrhoea, menopausal problems and flatulence[9].
Other Uses Dye.
A dark olive-green dye is obtained from the leaves[46, 61, 145].
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True

reliable, for what the indications are claimed to be Google is your friend.
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=motherwort
Nothing to do with brewing.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

wrote in message

Apparently not.
Notwithstanding the presence of 'mother' and 'wort' which are both indicative of ferment.

common root, which coincidentally meant root. The suffix -wort turns up in the names of many plants, as in spleenwort, lungwort, ribwort, sneezewort, sandwort, crosswort, St. John's wort, nipplewort, pepperwort, gypsywort, monkswort, water dropwort, spearwort, pearlwort, figwort, soapwort, ragwort, moneywort, bridewort, wouldwort, stitchwort, navelwort and water startwort. It commonly said that it denotes a plant used medicinally, but I am not sure that that is universally true. Water dropwort is highly poisonous.
The name motherwort suggests a use in "feminine complaints". It is apparently an abortifacient. (Is "stimulation of delayed or suppressed menstruation" a euphemism?)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley