ISO: Thuja Green Giant

Hi,

I just join today after doing a Google search for Thuja Green Giant. What a wonderful site, so glad to have joined, just sad i didnt find it sooner.

Anyways, i've was told about Green Giant in person by a friend at work. They didnt seem to know to much about it but only the answer i was looking for... "Need a conifer/shrub/hedge that goes super fast and is also hardy"

I've done a bit of a search on Google as i said to learn a little more about it, and the thing i noticed the most is that there is no place that tends to stocks the Green Giant here in the UK.

I would love to get a couple (maybe more) as i am in badly need for a fast growing tall plant as the neighbours have mention they plan to cut down their hedge in a few years time. So when they do there will be a massive gap left and very less privacy.

Could anyone help me out a little more on this. Is Green Giant grown in the UK, are they available to even buy here? And if so, could someone please link me to a recommended site to buy from.

I went to my local garden nursery this morning to find nothing and i have searched online garden nurseries and again, to no joy

Thank you for your time David

Reply to
Dromore

FYI - the "site" you refer to is someone's web interface to pre-existing global discussion groups called "usenet", which have been around for over three decades.

Over here in the states, we know this as "Western Red Cedar" (not to be confused with the shorter "Eastern White Cedar"). You might try searching your local nurseries for that. It's actually a cypress.

Note that article describes three cultivars.

The nursery the article cites is in Australia, and they have several other cultivars:

When you want a hedge, do you really want a tree that could climb to

10 metres or more? Or one which generates lots of litter? Consider also the sort of watering it may require (yea, you're un the UK - where there's pretty much one season "rain").

I performed a simple google for:

"western red cedar" "united kingdom" nursery

Among the first page of results found these nurseries (though originally linked via company directory sites):

Reply to
Sean Straw

Sorry Sean, The Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata ) is NOT the Thuja Green Giant*, Thuja (standishii x plicata) 'Green Giant'. Close, but no.

    take a look at the Leyland Cypress or some other Arborvita , it might be a better fit for you but I understand you have some unique laws on height that you need to explore.

As for conducting Internet searches .....as Sean said put UK in the keywords, better yet use your city, county etc., what ever you use for defining your local.

Reply to
Gunner

So the Western Red Cedar is not the Green Giant??

I already did a Google search of Thuja Green Giant for the UK before i joined the site and i couldnt find one for sale from a UK Garden Nursery seller. There is a UK eBayer seller, but i'm not a fan buying plants of eBay as the handful of times that i did, the plants was very poor.

I can find loads of Western Red Cedar over here, but my heart is set on a Green Giant. Its perfect to what i'm after.

I get a strong feeling that you just can not buy a Thuja Green Giant here in the UK. If this is the case, what would be the closest to get.What is the next best thing to a Green Giant???

Thanks for your time

Reply to
Dromore

it is a cross between the WRC and the Japanese, hence (standishii x plicata)

Contact these guys and ask:

luck

Reply to
Gunner

this is a great site!!

Reply to
Jnanurag Babaki

Hi I contacted the people who run this site and no one has gotten back to me after all this time.

Is there anyone out there who can recommend a place to buy Green Giant here in the UK?

Thank you

Reply to
Dromore

Hi David, Personally I havent heard of 'green giant' over here in the UK ! but theres a couple of points I'd like to make. If you cant find that particular cultivar, be aware that if you go for 'western red cedar' Thuja plicata. then please make sure that you buy plants that have been grown from cuttings and not from seed !! This means that (like leylandii) every plant will be identical

Prior to the popularity of Leylands cypress we used to use either Thuja or Cham. lawsoniana but the seed raised ones showed huge variation in habit, which meant that it was very hard to get a neat even screen and thats why the Leylandii became very popular.

regards, Lannerman.

Reply to
lannerman