Is this dead?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see the results, please visit

Is it dead

- Yes chop it out.

- No it's just sleeping.

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, a new home owner and completely new to gardening. With the new property has come a hedge however the hedge to me looks decidedly dead!

I've attached an image for everyone to have a look at and would appreciate someone filling me in, is it dead?

Thanks in advance for you all your help!

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: IMG_20120318_154151.jpg | |Download:
NewbieSticker

------------------------------------------------------------------------ A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see the results, please visit

Is it dead

- Yes chop it out.

- No it's just sleeping.

NewbieSticker;953630 Wrote:

Hi, NO, its definantely not dead !! Its a very popular hedging plant known as beech (Fagus sylvatica) One of its main features is that although it is deciduous,

it doesnt shed last years leaves imedeately which keeps the hedge looking 'thicker' over winter. I would imagine that its the common green beech but if you are very lucky, it may turn out to be one of the varieties with copper or even purple leaves but you will soon find out when it comes into leaf very shortly.

regards, Lannerman.

lannerman

In my humble opinion it's alive. But you can easily check it for yourself: just scratch the bark. If it's alive you should see green cambium underneath.

Best regards, Arkadesh

Reply to
Arkadiusz Dymek

That is a specifically British interpretation of law. Given OP's spelling of neighbor, I think they need to know the local legal situation.

Reply to
echinosum

My logic says the cuttings belong to whichever side they were growing over, that's what gives one the right to cut them... there is no theft... were it an apple tree would you after harvesting those hanging on your side give the apples to the neighbor... I say they'd be yours the same as if they dropped onto your side. In fact if the neighbor reached over onto your side to take those apples from his tree growing on your side that would be theft... what grows onto your side is yours. If the neighbor didn't want you picking the apples from his tree he should have planted that tree further from the property line. In the present case the neighbor was very presumptuous planting a hedge so that it grows over onto the adjoining property. I planted a dozen trees seventy five feet apart in a row along my property line but I made sure that they were twenty feet into my side... no neighbor problems.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Your logic is not the same as the law in some parts of the world and the law relevant to the OP is the key point.

David Hare-Scott

Most laws pertaining to property are logical and consistant. The US laws relevant to land surveying and property historically directly follow those of the UK. You show me the law pertaining to this case that's contrary, not gum flapping, point me to the actual law that says one must endure whatever their neighbor plants. I seriously doubt that folks in the UK can plant a hedge (or any plant) on or about the property line and allow it to impinge on the adjoining property without repucussion... a hedge is nothing, what were it a maple tree that after a few years begins to grow limbs through the neighbors windows. I think you're purposely being foolish, I'd hate to think you're truly such a fool.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Which one? Different UK countries often have different laws. The Scottish legal and land ownership system is separate and very different from the English one. English hedge legislation doesn't match Scotland's.

Nobody said that. As Lannerman posted above, in the UK, legally you can cut the neighbours hedge (or tree) back to the property line. You must offer him what you cut off; but he's under no obligation to accept it.

Janet

Reply to
Janet

NB: OP also referred to "60cms".

Reply to
Farm1

???? Regardless of where I live, in my country, I have always been able to plant anything I like so long as it is not a declared noxious weed. I could plant bamboo, ivy, any tree such as a mapple or an oak or a hedge of Leyland cypress. I couldn't plant Scotch thistle, Paterson's Curse, or Serrated tussock. The latter 3 are all classed as noxious weeds because they destroy pasture land.

Reply to
Farm1

Gum flapper No. 1 spews:

Gum flapper No. 2. LOL You, you can't even comprehend the question, you're functionally illiterate.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I think if anything, this merely means they're unlikely to be from the USA. I'm in the USA, yet I spell neigbour, colour, and aluminium (ah-loo-min-ee-uhm). There are many expats around the globe.

It's up to the OP to bother to share pertinent information, not everyone else to guess, or argue when someone does. Also, since anybody could sign up for gardenbanter, it isn't a safe bet to assume that posters from there are all actually in the UK.

Reply to
Sean Straw

You are saying I should find out the law that pertains to the OP. So we agree that the law in that case is the important consideration, which was the point of my comment. I said nothing about having to endure whatever the neighbour plants, you made that up.

David Hare-Scott

Is there something wrong with your comprehension of the English language? Rather than relying on common sense you're the one pulling the legal card... show us... you can't because if you could you certainly would have by now.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Duh!

Reply to
Billy

You poor deluded old chap. You didn't ask a question. You made a series of statements. I responded to your illogical statements.

Reply to
Farm1

:-)) Sheldon has always done that.

Reply to