Is this an unusual Lily?

Page 2 of 2
I would think that yours is the one with the more pronounced blue on the petals. Around here it's the pinker one they call "Nekkid ladies" <G> madgardener

dug

is very

[snipped the sniping]
Is the blue in your flower more pronounced or the blue in that photo? (That's a gorgeous plant and a cool nursery -- thanks for the link -- I just requested a catalog from them. *g*)
Here's a good photo of a Lycoris squamigera (Naked Lady).
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/930593-product.html
Naked ladies grew all over the yard, when I lived in a Victorian in the Bay Area. I really miss them. The fragrance is wonderful, too. I'm trying to figure out how to grow them in Zone 3. They're hardy to Zone 5. Maybe in big pots that go into the garden shed in the winter? Or tons of mulch? I'll have to get my brother to go dig some bulbs up out of my old garden and send them up. It's worth a try : )
Jan
JIs the blue in your flower more pronounced or the blue in that photo?
The catalog place photo is pretty small, but it appears to have quite a bit more blue in it. Still I like my flower as it looks a little more robust. My photo is pretty true colorwise, but it does depend on peoples' monitors.

Happy to have found them for you. More temptations :-).

That's a real beautiful specimen(s). Looks pretty multi-flowered but it could be a cluster of many together. I don't see these growing in my area; all the lilies, while lovely, are the same old same old sort of thing.
Thank you very much for the White Flower Farm link. Looks like a quality company.

Maybe one of the experts here can help you. Maybe you can grow them potted. I did find a website that was a memorial to a husband and they had moved theirs to Arizona which is pretty arid and hot in places, but I don't know the exact growing conditions everywhere there. Her plant is still thriving.
Other than make a trek to the courthouse and get the landowner info and drop them a couple bucks for copies, I haven't contacted the owner yet, as I don't know what kind of reception I'll get. I may just forego that part and buy some bulbs. I may just alert the owner in case they might prize something like that if they don't know it is there. No phone # or listing in the book, just an address.
Thanks very much for the comment and info.

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

Thank you. I'll check out that link. I try to ignore the rude posts, but I have to tell you that it kind of put a damper on my exhiliration (had to use the spell checker on that, it passed but doesn't look right) on finding such an unexpected treasure, if nothing more than for a photo.
Here's what it had on squamigera. I don't know what perianth is, will have to look that up, but the blue in the one I found is very true and not purplish or lavendarish, even though the rest of the blossom has pink to lavendar tones.
Leaves first appearing in autumn and then reappearing in spring; perianth purple
11 LYCORIS squamigera + Leaves appearing in spring; perianth yellow or white.
(5)
Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

You look up the botanical terms and get back to us.
Perianth is the sepals and petals = tepals (when they look the same)
Both Lycoris squamigera and Lycoris sprengeri can have blue tipped tepals depending on temperature (weather) and growing conditions. That character is not what distinguishes the two from each other.
The important differences to distinguish the two species you ask about are:
Lycoris squamigera - tepals (= both whorls of showy flower parts (3 sepals + 3 petals) look alike) have wavy margins toward the base and throat of flower is yellowish.
Lycoris sprengeri - tepals do not have wavy margins and throat of flower is whitish.
The plant in your photo is without a doubt Lycoris squamigera.

which
need
winter?
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 16:29:56 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

Right on Stanley!!!
seed will take 3-5 years to flowering state when she can purchase the "surprise" lily herself from any number of reputable companies. They're also called Naked Ladies. and yes, they're pinkish and seem to rise from nowhere about this time. I see stands of them in front of older peoples houses around here. Those and the more rarer ones that are red and of the same family but called Spider lilies. I adore those too. They grow floppy masses of leaves that show their relation to the amaryllis in the spring and then the leaves dissolve and about the time you forget they're there, they pop up in the heat of summer. (thus the name, Surprise lily and Naked ladies) Bulbs planted in spring will take two years to settle in. Bulbs dug from house where Alice saw them will sulk the first year and settle in as well. I'm sure the owners would share once she gets hold of them. They multiply pretty well once they get started. madgardener

the
My folks almost got a severe fine for picking wildflowers in Nevada years ago.
Interesting article David, thanks. Love Caryn "Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
You really have to watch that. I learned my lesson in a very humiliating way as a child in Rocky Mountain National Park. No fine, thank heaven, but the embarassment and lecture by the park ranger was sufficient to leave a lasting memory not to mess with big brother's property.