Is this an unusual Lily?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I'm not a regular on this group, but I found this beautiful wild lily yesterday and wondered if it was unusual. It is pink with an apricot throat and the petals are brushed with true blue.
Pic:
http://home.earthlink.net/~agless/Wild_Lily.jpg
I would like to try and find out if the property owners will allow me to dig the bulbs in the fall or what I should do. If I can buy a lily like this, I would just let it be.
I have tried to phone some lily growers, but their horticulturist is out until the end of the week.
Thanks to generous people on these groups who are willing to help.
Thank you so much for the quick response and identifying the lily.
The picture on that site is more purple or lavendar. They probably vary, but I want one just like this one which does not appear lavendar or purple. It is more pink/pinkish lavendar with the true blue.
Can I buy one just like that?
I'll look on google and see what more there is on it.
Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

Lily or not I would let it be, leave it where it is but look for seed on the plant
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
David Hill wrote:

You don't know the plant at all, do you David?
Lycoris squamigera is a sterile triploid and can only be propagated from bulbs.
The bulbs can be divided after flowering.
*****************
I thought it was rather early to see a posting of the flower this year. So, I went out to the yard and saw the flower scapes are already emerging from the ground!!!
The fiery red flowers of Lycoris radiata will appear after L.squamigera is finished blooming.

Chicory is a very common and invasive weed.
Its best you don't even think about growing it in your garden.

it can be controlled. Did you see the garden that Erica Glasner featured one time that the lady planted chicory seed in her rich soil and the plant was awesome? She just pulled out the babies the next year and kept one patch. Can't beat that intense sky blue! <g> madgardener

long as she has hands to pull out the babies she'll be fine. I have purple loosestrife in my own garden and it's not eating the land around me....:P

In response to this. I bought and grew a collection of wild chicories from Territorial Seeds. Tremendously vigorous plants, with all the leaf hues from lime to maroon, and they provided modest radicchio-like heads in the fall (they needed to be cut a couple of times before they headed). Radicchio is tamed chicory. They provided again some greens (reds) in April, and I let them go to seed in the summer. I collected the seeds (about two pounds), which then I used on a patch of clay soil I had brought in to fill a hole in my backyard. They broke the ground nicely (they have dandelion-like taproots), and now I toss some seeds in out-of-the way parts of my backyard for some bitter greens and also because my daughter guinea pigs will eat nothing else if they can get chicory. Fun plant to grow, and free veggies for all at this point.

I don't know you and am glad of it. David happens to be a user on one of my E-mail lists and he is a good grower too.
As far as you go, I invite you to stand under the launchpad whenever the next space shuttle is launched on a mission. You'd have an awesome view of the main engine start up.
-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."
Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars
SIAR www.starlords.org Bishop's Car Fund http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com / Freelance Writers Shop http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com Telescope Buyers FAQ http://home.inreach.com/starlord

relationships (which explains the preoccupation with choking the chicken) and a row house garden to call his own. Pretty pathetic really!
Are you talking about me? Row house? Where? I live in the High Mojave Desert and my 200+ Iris cover an area far bigger than any row house garden.
-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."
Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars
SIAR www.starlords.org Bishop's Car Fund http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com / Freelance Writers Shop http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com Telescope Buyers FAQ http://home.inreach.com/starlord

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:36:00 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

Poor Stanley, can't take what he puts out.....
You continually debase other posters. You constantly smack them with your tasteless penile references but can't take the truth about yourself or your heroes. Pretty pathetic!
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:44:28 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

Ah now we've moved from personal insults to implied threats, you're moving onto dangerous ground here Stanley.
Not a threat at all, just an observation.
Your many enemies in your home town of Las Vegas are free to do as they wish, Tomski.
You are listed in the Las Vegas phone book for all to see.
Maybe you can have some refreshments and snacks ready for surprise guests that stop by to talk about your plant business?

Is that supposed to be the British spelling of the word or is it you don't know how to do a spelling check?
It is very sad that you are so arrogant yet incompetent, Davey Boy!!!!
As usual, you completely missed the point.
Its time for you to go back to your weed garden.

David, time to KILLFILE this redneck.
-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."
Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars
SIAR www.starlords.org Bishop's Car Fund http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com / Freelance Writers Shop http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com Telescope Buyers FAQ http://home.inreach.com/starlord

".... Is that supposed to be the British spelling of the word or is it you don't know how to do a spelling check ....."
And you've never hit a wrong key??????/
Must be so nice to be so perfect.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

I'd say go dig them up if they're going to bulldoze the place. They live for decades. Since you're digging them during the time they flower, don't panic when they only put out leaves next year and don't flower at the end of summer. once settled they'll outlast you......<G> The chicory on the other hand believe it or not despite being mowed down to the nubbins will come back and rebloom. We have it in abundance here and it grows right up to the asphalt and they mowers clip it to the road and three weeks later there they are. Shorter plants with those incredible sky blue daisy flowers. Don't dig them up unless you have very moist, loose soil to gently dig them, because they have one hell of a root that resents being disturbed. The people in Louisiana and deeper southern area's used it during the Civil war in place of coffee and the habit has stayed on to this day. Roasted and ground, chicory root is like coffee I'm told but a bit more bitter. They grow well from seed which you can purchase almost anywhere. Try Thompson & Morgan and possibly Burpee in their herb section of seeds offered. I'm sure there are other places that offers chicory seeds. The Naked ladies are common and you will not have a problem finding them. With the inflow of nursery catalogs for the fall pouring in, I bet you will see them in one of them. If I come across them I will tell you where to look. Save the older ones up because they'll be larger than any you would be able to buy anyway and it always feels good to save an older plant from destruction all in the name of progress. madgardener

someone decades ago. As for saving flame leaf sumac trees, you have your work cut out for you as I have the stag horn wild variety across the shared driveway and it's seeding itself in my yard. I love the stag red ends about this time of the year, but not at the expense of what little yard up on the southern part of my ridge I have. The naked ladies won't die if dug up now despite that they're blooming. they make their leaves in the spring to feed the bulb. That indicates that the bulbs came from South America or Africa and acclimated here long ago. Alice can save them and dig them up now and plant them and only sacrifice the flowering of them by a year or two at most. I've moved them before from Nashville but lost them this last time because I didn't remember where they were when we moved in March when we bought the house and the leaves hadn't broken dormacy. Mine were from the neighborhood I had grown up in and when I dug them up from a friend's yard, they were larger than soft balls. When we moved in 1992, I planted them in White Pine and the second year we lived there, they shot up their pink "naked ladies" in August about this time. I was thrilled. We stayed another year and a half before we got this place we have now and in the total relocation of everything again, I missed those bulbs. When I drove past the farmhouse we'd rented those 3 1/2 years that the landlord's daughter was living in now, I saw the flowers along the edge of the yard out front and almost stopped to ask if I could dig them up, but they're too easy to come by. madgardener