Is this a weed?

As the title says is this a weed? My girlfriend was given it as a tomato plant obviously not looks like weed to me but I am no expert at all!

[image:
a.willan

Looks like what I call sow thistle. A weed, difficult to get rid of.

Reply to
Charles

a.willan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:

it's a sow thistle. they're generally considered weeds, yes. they are excellent food for tortoises however. lee

Reply to
enigma

This one in particular has already gotten a lot of love, more than most "house" plants. Maybe the OP should just tell her not to plant it outdoors (where it can spread).

I'm always pulling up Poke Salad, although that is edible, I don't think anyone deliberately grows it! Then again I have a proud patch of horsetails, which is usually considered a weed.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:09:10 +0100, against all advice, something compelled a.willan , to say:

A weed plant is one growing where you don't want it. Only you can say if it is a weed or no.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Jealous about the horsetail. :) I have a neighbor that harvests my early poke before I pull or mow it. I like sow thistles enough to keep a few around.

Kate

Reply to
kate

Hard to find... it likes places that flood and drain (river banks). I had a huge stand under a disconnected drain. Connecting the drain, eliminated the stand.

I now grow it in a planter of sandy soil and just water occasionally. It's doing well. I seem to like primitive plants as I also used to have a liverwort garden. That likes to grow where there is no competition.

I have a neighbor that harvests my

That appears to be the right time to harvest.

I like sow thistles enough to keep

Cool.

The burned out lot across the street from me is going natural. I suspect I'll have a few there. A few blackberries have taken root. One of those plants that apparently is better grown in someone elses yard!

Jeff

Reply to
jeff