Is this a weed?

As the title says is this a weed? My girlfriend was given it as a tomato plant obviously not looks like weed to me but I am no expert at all!
[image:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/nalliwa/DSCF4109.jpg]
[image:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/nalliwa/DSCF4113.jpg]
--
a.willan

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:09:10 +0100, a.willan

Looks like what I call sow thistle. A weed, difficult to get rid of.
Charles wrote:

This one in particular has already gotten a lot of love, more than most "house" plants. Maybe the OP should just tell her not to plant it outdoors (where it can spread).
I'm always pulling up Poke Salad, although that is edible, I don't think anyone deliberately grows it! Then again I have a proud patch of horsetails, which is usually considered a weed.
Jeff

Jealous about the horsetail. :) I have a neighbor that harvests my early poke before I pull or mow it. I like sow thistles enough to keep a few around.
Kate
snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote:

Hard to find... it likes places that flood and drain (river banks). I had a huge stand under a disconnected drain. Connecting the drain, eliminated the stand.
I now grow it in a planter of sandy soil and just water occasionally. It's doing well. I seem to like primitive plants as I also used to have a liverwort garden. That likes to grow where there is no competition.
I have a neighbor that harvests my

That appears to be the right time to harvest.
I like sow thistles enough to keep

Cool.
The burned out lot across the street from me is going natural. I suspect I'll have a few there. A few blackberries have taken root. One of those plants that apparently is better grown in someone elses yard!
Jeff

it's a sow thistle. they're generally considered weeds, yes. they are excellent food for tortoises however. lee
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:09:10 +0100, against all advice, something

A weed plant is one growing where you don't want it. Only you can say if it is a weed or no.
--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.