Is there an organic pesticide that can kill caterpillars on thyme?

Hi fellow gardeners,

Can someone tell me whether there are some organic pesticed or some home made organic formala pestice to kill caterpillars on thyme? I don`t like to use chemical pesticide because of the toxicity it leaves in the plant for a long time & because of the risk of contaminating ourself while spraying or risk of harming domestic animals like cats or dogs.

Is there one such pesticide that is not harmful to pets or humans?

Thanks in advance for any help you will be giving me.

Joe

Ther are several insecticides that are not particularly harmful to pets or humans. However the biological agent Bt is probably the best for caterpillars. Brand names are Dipel and Thuricide. Note, however, that it will kill all butterfly or moth larvae that feed on the plants.

Reply to
FarmerDill

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) Can someone tell me whether there are some organic pesticed or some home :) made organic formala pestice to kill caterpillars on thyme? :) :) Probably a BT product is what you will want. Another easy way is grab a pair of gloves and an empty bucket to pick n throw the larvae.

Reply to
Lar

The most organic home-made pesticide that can remove caterpillars on thyme and kill them is an animal called Homo sapiens. The beast actually has the ability to see the insect larvae and pull them off of the plants using their four fingers and opposable thumb. Absolutely no chemicals are necessary!! You could even do it yourself!!! Check it out!!!

The only problem is that the animal is well known to be extremely destructive to humans, harm pets and pollutes the environment. They even have the ability to destroy the whole planet. So maybe using one is not a good idea after all?

Sorry, can't help you after all. What you ask is impossible.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

I did try removing them manually when i noticed them, the problem is that they are so tiny larvae that it is not possible to remove all of them. The second problem with dealing with it in this way is that we damage the leaves as well. This mehtod did not prevent the thyme from dying out. It may be possible that it was because I removed them when the plant was considerably infested with larvae. What is BT? I am from Mauritius, a small island in the Indian Ocean, I am not sure that I have heard of this.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) What is BT? I am from Mauritius, a small island in the Indian Ocean, I am :) not sure that I have heard of this. :) :) Bacillus thuringiensis var Kurstaki or BT for caterpillars is a bacteria that only effects the caterpillar. It causes them to quit eating once consumed and can be used up to day of harvest. You might contact Veejai Ahluwalia at snipped-for-privacy@sterlingpcs.com located in Mumbai. He may be able to have a better chance of knowing if it can be found in your part of the world.

Reply to
Lar

Darn it. I thought BT stood for "bodacious tetonas". We certainly run in different circles.

Next you're going to say that ERA doesn't stand for "earned runs average".

chance

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-