Is there a good palce to buy maypops?

Maypops (passiflora incarnata) grows wild around here, though the only places I have seen it have been in National or State Parks, so I can't harvest some. I would like to try it out on a trellis I have here, but can't seem to find a local nursery that carries them.
Does anybody know of a good place to buy them?
Thanks, billo
Bill Oliver wrote:

Knowing where "around here" is would be helpful.

USDA Zone 8

Heh. Oops. Sorry about that. I live in the NW Georgia mountains not too far south of Chattanooga, TN.
billo
Bill Oliver wrote:

I'm way far away from you so I don't know any nursery's near you. Try looking for Passionflower (Passiflora incarta) at your local nursery.

USDA Zone 8
Sorry Bill, Don't know where to buy them locally. I have several on my property in the NE corner of GA. If your ever this way give me a jingle and we'll see if we can get you some cuttings or perhaps a transplant or two started.
Keith

I have this planted on my mail box in NE North Carolina and it loves it there. I found mine at a high end nursery that buys unusual varieties of plants. I have a question though. Is the fruit on these edible? After flowering the bud starts to become a seed pod or fruit. Any one have any clues??
Thanks!! Pam

Thompson & Morgan sells the seed of the Castor Bean plant (Ricinus communis). It is considered a half-hardy annual. Once you grow it you can harvest your own seeds. The plant and its seeds are considered poisonous. Do not grow it where children may be attracted to the large seeds.

war is peace
freedom is slavery

Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ooops...my aim was bad. My reply should have gone to the rissin message. Sorry about that.

Maypops? I got four of them on my car.
I'm pretty sure the fruits are edible, although they may be a little pulpy or bland. Almost every fruit that smells sweet is edible - sort of nature's way of making sure it gets eaten so that the seeds will end up somewhere else- but not all are delicious. I often wonder about those first brave humans who in fits of hunger tried non-sweet things like lettuce leaves, cabbage leaves, etc. How many lay dead on the jungle floor after they accidentally bit into something brim full of oxalic acid or other poisonous substance? And what famine induced some to try grass seeds (progenitors of wheat, corn, barley, millet, etc)?

They are edible, but you wouldn't want to eat them. There isn't really much of a flavor to them.
I'm suprised that you had to go to a high-end nursery in NC to find them-- here in my part of SC they are a common wild plant treated like an invasive weed. (Maypops and "Butterfly Weed" are two plants that, when you tell anyone around here that people actually pay for the the things they look at you weird). I would suspect that if you look in any fields around your area you'll find them growing wild.
Maypops are not only edible, but tasty. There is quite a bit of info, and some online nurseries, here:
http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible.html
Lee Reich's book "Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention" devotes a chapter to the maypop.