Is there a good palce to buy maypops?

Maypops (passiflora incarnata) grows wild around here, though the only places I have seen it have been in National or State Parks, so I can't harvest some. I would like to try it out on a trellis I have here, but can't seem to find a local nursery that carries them.

Does anybody know of a good place to buy them?

Thanks, billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

Knowing where "around here" is would be helpful.

Reply to
Travis

Heh. Oops. Sorry about that. I live in the NW Georgia mountains not too far south of Chattanooga, TN.

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

I'm way far away from you so I don't know any nursery's near you. Try looking for Passionflower (Passiflora incarta) at your local nursery.

Reply to
Travis

Sorry Bill, Don't know where to buy them locally. I have several on my property in the NE corner of GA. If your ever this way give me a jingle and we'll see if we can get you some cuttings or perhaps a transplant or two started.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Warren

I have this planted on my mail box in NE North Carolina and it loves it there. I found mine at a high end nursery that buys unusual varieties of plants. I have a question though. Is the fruit on these edible? After flowering the bud starts to become a seed pod or fruit. Any one have any clues??

Thanks!! Pam

Reply to
Ron P

Thompson & Morgan sells the seed of the Castor Bean plant (Ricinus communis). It is considered a half-hardy annual. Once you grow it you can harvest your own seeds. The plant and its seeds are considered poisonous. Do not grow it where children may be attracted to the large seeds.

Thanks!! Pam

Reply to
nonews

Ooops...my aim was bad. My reply should have gone to the rissin message. Sorry about that.

Thanks!! Pam

Reply to
nonews

Reply to
presley

"nonews" wrote in news:O1bCe.9116$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

what does that have to do with maypops? did your threads get crossed? lee

Reply to
enigma

They are edible, but you wouldn't want to eat them. There isn't really much of a flavor to them.

I'm suprised that you had to go to a high-end nursery in NC to find them-- here in my part of SC they are a common wild plant treated like an invasive weed. (Maypops and "Butterfly Weed" are two plants that, when you tell anyone around here that people actually pay for the the things they look at you weird). I would suspect that if you look in any fields around your area you'll find them growing wild.

Reply to
Darren Garrison

enigma expounded:

Ann

Maypops? I got four of them on my car.

Reply to
TomKan

Maypops are not only edible, but tasty. There is quite a bit of info, and some online nurseries, here:

Reich's book "Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention" devotes a chapter to the maypop.

Reply to
Ben