Is it too late to Overseed Florida lawns?

I live in central FL ( Lakeland) and was wondering about overseeding my lawn but now I think it may be too late in the year to do this. I was thinking of using a Bahia type or combination Sun/Shade variety to overseed with. am alsothinking that the seed wouldn't have time to realy take root before the crabgrass began to grow again this year. The lawn I have inherited was previously owned by a man who believed, if it was green it was good, didn't matter if it was a blade of grass or a weed. I discovered after being here for the 1st month that I even had a irrigation system but it was maybe used once a year to see if it still worked. I've been working on that too trying to get it back into shape. Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you have.

John T McD.

Reply to
John T McDougald

Phisherman

I overseed mine in the spring-but it is not a huge yard-the spring rains get it going pretty kick. I do it to help give the mangled St. Augustine some relief from dog wear and tear that occurred during the winter while it was dormant. I am right on the Texas Gulf Coast so we probably have similar climates, it is not to hot to kill stuff yet, but warm enough to encourage growth.

Give it a try.

Reply to
Norma Briggs