Is it too late for Forsythia cuttings?

The ones I took in the spring (during bloom time) never thrived and have died. Is this the wrong time to take more? What would be the best way to do it if it can still be done now?

Thx.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

I usually transplant in the fall after weather cools down and rainy season starts up.Best way I think would be to find a branch that has touched ground and developed it's own root system or just simply divide a shovel full from the mother plant. Make sure you get enough roots this way. Good luck

Elaine in Ga

7b "FragileWarrior"
Reply to
Elaine

Forsythia roots readily. My forsythia was obtained by taking cuttings in the fall, which were then buried 80% under mulch. In the spring, about 2/3 of them push out new leaves. As cuttings go, they are the easiest.

Reply to
simy1

"simy1" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

So you just cut them and stick them in the ground and then mulch them? How long of a piece do you cut? Do you use rooting hormone or anything like that?

Oh, yeah, I should mention that I'm stealing these off a tree from the backyard of an empty house that's for sale. I figure it's a free for all on such things when the house has been empty for over a year.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Hey like they say down south...if you steal a cutting it will live!

They are easy to root like simy said. Just bury the top 3/4 of the limb in the dirt put off the leaves and don't let it dry out. Next spring you should see new growth.

Elaine in Ga Zone 7b "FragileWarrior" backyard of an empty house that's for sale. I figure it's a free for all

Reply to
Elaine

"Elaine" wrote in news:bNLEg.19719$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Oh LOL so sorry.......you bury the bottom and pull leaves on the part that goes in the ground!!

Elaine in Ga. whose mind leaves her body sometimes... Zone 7b "FragileWarrior" > spring you should see new growth.

Reply to
Elaine

Yes. I cut 18 inches segments, and make sure a few buds are above ground. The mulch does two things here in MI: it retains moisture, and it prevents a very hard freeze. The method works with other canes as well, that is how I established a new raspberry row. But the point is, it needs to be done under cool and moist conditions.

In one year, that forsythia has gotten to the point where trimming is needed. You should bill them.

Reply to
simy1