Is it safe to root prune? - coffee "tree"

Hi There:
I'm going to need to bring my coffee plant inside for the winter. It is definitely rootbound. It is in a large pot now and it is just not realistic to put it into a larger one. Is it safe to root prune it? Is there anything I should be extra cautious about? It has given us beans for a few cups in the last 3 years. I'd say it is about 7 years old and 4 feet tall.
Thanks a lot, Sally