is it safe to grow edible produce in our yard?

hello, we moved into this house around 2002 and since then have not put any chemical into our yard and front lawn. assuming that previous owner used chemical to contain weeds in these areas, is it safe to plant fruits and vegtables in the yard and front lawn?
thank you in advance.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

almost certainly yes. Pesticides tend to disappear within a few years, and anyway they are not absorbed through the roots. IIRC, the time that land needs to be free of pesticides to be certified as an organic farm is 5 years.

Excellent reply.
David