is it posible to plant maple trees in Mexico?

I live in central Mexico in the state of Michoacan with a USDA zone of 9 or 10.
I would like to plant some maple trees here but I'm not familiar with species that might survive here.
Does anybody have ideas or suggestions?
Thank you. Javier
On 5 Dec 2003 17:18:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (Javier Reyes) wrote:

If you can get them to grow, they won't do well. They need a cold winter rest period. I lived in LA for a few years, and missed the maple trees.

I was lucky enough to spend two winters down in central Mexico, one of which in Michoacan. Michoacan isn't the dry, dusty desert that a lot of us Gringos think of when we think of Mexico. It's got some high, beautiful, mountainous areas. Waterfalls, volcanos, lush vegitation, it's amazing! And, in the higher areas, it can certainly get cold during the winter, but it depends on where they're at. If they're in the "hot lands" (Apatzingan, Nueva Italia, Infiernillo - "little hell"), that's one thing. On the other hand, if they're in Uruapan, Patzcuaro, or Janitzio, then we're talking about winters that get down to and a bit below freezing.
(The bit that makes winter "fun" down there is that houses aren't heated, or even insulated - often, they're not even well sealed. While 30-35 degrees F doesn't sound that cold to a lot of us, you have to remember that it's often not much warmer *inside* the house, if any. Of course, it depends on the construction of the home, which can be anything from concrete and brick to sticks and cardboard.)
steve
Take a look at this website and see if any will be okay where you are.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/indexcommon.htm
I know Cado maple, big tooth maple, and a host of others grow in this part of south central Texas. Mexico is clearly a zone south of me, but I do believe maples are found all over the world in all regions.
Victoria
On 5 Dec 2003 17:18:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (Javier Reyes) opined:

- Tallahassee, FL - Only to the white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear (Ogallala Sioux Chief)
Of course, but they might not grow.
Llewellyn: I can call spirits from the boundless deep. ?: And so can I, and so can any man, But will they answer?
Shakespeare, one of the Henry plays zemedelec

Acer truncatum or shantung maple may work for you. It seems to be more heat and drought tolerant than other maple species. You could also try a maple look-alike, Liquidambar. They do well in zone 9 and 10 in SoCal, so should be OK for you.
pam - gardengal

Are you in Chihuahua? http://travelamap.com/mexico/chihuahua.htm Mexico Chihuahua map If so, get a copy of Sunset National Garden or Sunset Western Garden Book. Look sat nearest NM or TX zones.
====== Pam:

Liquidambar Liquidambar orientalis is more compact. Liquidambar orientalis Up to 10m. Asia Minor ====A. buergerianum Trident Maple gives red color in mild climates.
Quick clues from Elias "Trees of North America"
A. pseudoplatanus A. glabrum A. grandidentatum A. negundo (fast and dirty tree, but Box-Elders grow "anywhere")
========= Mexico has some good Oaks. Mexico Oaks silvery http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Mexico+Oaks+silver-leaf + http://www.treeguide.com/Species.asp?SpeciesID 9 http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/gis/vegetation_types/pages2/page15.html http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/quercushypoleucoides.htm
http://www.uapress.arizona.edu/samples/sam1499.htm
This is a classic Madrean Evergreen Woodland, specifically the Mexican oak-pine woodland, a biotic community that tends to tongue down cooler canyons in the Chiricahuas. In C. Hart Merriam's classification system, this elevation corresponds to the Upper Sonoran life zone. However, since the Upper Sonoran life zone also includes various grasslands, chaparral, and oak woodlands, the limitations of the life zone system become apparent. David E. Brown, a biology professor at Arizona State University and the editor of the definitive guide Biotic Communities: Southwestern United States and Northwestern Mexico, says that one advantage of the biotic community approach is that these communities are easily recognized and even mapped on the basis of certain "indicator" species. For example, Chihuahua and Apache pine, together with netleaf and silverleaf oak, are indicators of the Mexican oak-pine woodland, whereas Emory, Mexican blue, and Arizona white oak with pinyon pine and alligator juniper characterize the encinal woodland. Both are subunits of the Madrean Evergreen Woodland. The biotic community system also relies on indicator animals as well as plants, including rare and endangered species. In addition to elevation, it takes into account nonliving elements like soil properties and landform history. The entire classification hierarchy is flexible. Ecologists may add new units and combine or delete old ones as further research indicates.
(I was looking for info about a "lush" lobed silvery-bottom-leafed growing at Strybing in SF, but Q. h. is not it. )
Hi is in Michoacan (borders on the Pacific) and is southwest of Chihuahua about 500 miles.
http://www.mexconnect.com/MEX/jrose/michmap.html
hort-4 wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky