Is it more efficient to grow in containers or right in the ground?

Is it more efficient to grow vegetables in containers or right in the ground?

In the ground, if you have a choice.
reason I ask this stupid question is that I will have to grow it on the slope. And I know, that organic matter leeches out very fast. Any ideas?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You may want to try terracing.
I do have created terraces. problem is that organic matter leaches thru the ground and walls and dissapeear very fast because it is a slope
Mindful wrote:

How do you know organic matter leaches out?

unlike the sand, clay or silt of dirt, organic matter is water soluble. Ingrid

We replace the organic matter twice a year. We till in home made compost with some woodash from the woodstove in early spring. We do it again in fall. In spring we also till in composted cow manure, blood and bone meal and Ironite from the store along with the compost we make ourselves. We use almost no commercial fertilizer. We mulch everything with a less advanced, coarser compost.

I've tried both ways. Mine do better in the ground.
In ground growing is almost always better if the soil is good. You will use less fertilizer and water. Growing in ground can expose your plants to soil borne pathogens and pests, but in most cases these can be controlled in a garden setting.
Layne