Is four hours of sun considered part shade?

The entryway to our house is located on the east, and thus gets sun only from about 7:30 to 12 pm. I am wondering if this area qualifies as part shade or shade. I have tried planting tiarella in this area, but they do not seem to like it all, and promptly turned brown and died. I live in the mountains of central California, and the summer temperature gets to a high of 98 F with a low of about 30 F in the winter. I am trying to figure out a planting scheme for the areas on either side of the entryway.

Jeffery

Reply to
Jefffooz

I like the AHS definitions, which can be seen at

maxsilverstar

Thank you very much for the link and the clarification. I have a better idea now of what kinds of plants to grow.

Jeffery

Reply to
Jefffooz

Tiarella is not a good selection for heat in sun of any length. They don't survive in Texas in full shade.

What you have is called morning sun. I know it can get annoying, but in hot climates, such as yours, morning sun is usually enough to get most plants into color. Certainly not some of the more full sun cacti or succulents. But most plants will come into color under those conditions, in your heat zone.

escapee