Is Bill Gates Trying To Hijack Africa's Food Supply?

Page 3 of 3
well some of us root cellar/ball jars discovered refrigerators and freezer which is somewhat easier on the "processing" time given that we now have jobs that take us outside the house. INgrid

Another line of defense against the corporate food mongers is the increasing consumer interest in organic foods and local farm products. We buy organic products because we really don't trust corporate claims for healthy food standards, including GMO quality.
The new farm bill also includes additional support for organic agriculture, which the government has failed to subsidize in the past.
If consumers are willing to pay a premium for organic quality standards, I wonder if there may also be a willingness to pay a premium for food that is grown under conditions that assure the local farmers and workers are paid adequately for their produce? Can the farmers and workers actually feed their own families with their earnings on the farm?

The money in agriculture right now concentrates in the hans of the processors, which is why you pay $4 for a box of corn flakes that contains 4 cents worth of corn. Right now it is Cargill, Archer Daniel Midlands, and the other processors who are making all the money who are making all the money. The cost for food would go up with sustainable agriculture and the overhead to the farmer would come down. In his book, Omnivore's Dilemma, Michael Pollan notes that growing corn is base on petroleum products for pesticides and fertilizer and that it takes a a little over a calorie of energy to get a calorie of food, where as under the old system of crop rotation, you got out 2 calories for every calorie invested. Food would become seasonal again and the food and the land would be better for it. No matter how we slice the pie, the next few generations of Americans are going to be less rich that we were. If you ever live in Europe, you will see that it isn't such a terrible thing. We are a very wasteful society. If our leaders weren't all stricken with cranial rectal inversion we would be starting an energy conservation drive immediately.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
On Jun 8, 10:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Interesting
What is the listing of the class(es) you teach?
cheers
oz, who taught undergrad and grad classes in ecology in the 70's and 80's
spring semester http://weloveteaching.com/spring/syllabus.html fall semester http://weloveteaching.com/fall2006/syllfall2006.htm It is an interdisciplinary science course for non science majors. I pick various topics each semester. these topics change, altho some I have them do on a rather consistent basis including monoculture and GMO (altho my minor is genetics mostly molecular and I think recombinant DNA rocks when used for the right purpose) Ingrid

On Jun 11, 10:54 am, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Thanx; informative
cheers
oz, who picks and sings each month at Baker Creek ( rareseeds.com )

YOU TAUGHT CLASSES? Then you know how this is supposed to work. Suck it up and be professional. You want to screw around? It would be nice to see your bone fides. - Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
<Charlie> wrote in message

Fn csers. I was thinking down a similar track last week around the news stories about G8 aide to Africa & how much of it was aimed not as food aid but infrastructure aid. I wondered how much of it got delivered to African farmers via the likes of permaculture education. From time to time I come across stories of the likes of Bill Mollison doing small scale permy agriculture work in africa and the americas. Bunging a lot of the money through similar ventures seems money well spent to me. Grass roots, small scale, local cash cropping farmers using sustainable and indigienous prctices.
As for the multinationals trying to trade mark centuries old food stocks, fn csers.
I have started to harvest some of my seeds (along with a guy @ work), only the very early stages mind, as well as looking at heirloom fruit trees. If I can keep some money out of the pockets of the bastard multinats then thats great. So far I have propogated some second generation lettuce seeds, broccoli and potatos. A woman down the road has a small orchard in her (sizeable) back garden with trees dating back 40, 60 maybe 70 years. Maybe even older. I am doing a bit of work with her and others to make them available for grafting. That'll be fun stuff for the end of winter.
rob