Is any one using washing machine water for growing plants?

Page 1 of 2
We use lots and lots of water to wash cloths- Pay for using the water and disposing it. Due to the high price of water in BUTLER COUNTY (OHIO), I am thinking why not use this water to drain out into flower beds. Has any one done this? Any precautions to be taken? Do I need to 'filter' the water?
I have gray water going into my woods. I have planted canna's just below the outlet where the pipe is. They are HUGE. 'nuff said? madgardener

Do you regular detergent and liquid fabric softener? How do you deal with loads that use hot water and chlorine bleach?
In some of the places I've lived I've used the gray water to not only water my flower beds, but even my lawns and no matter what I had in the water, it gets so deluted between the two cycles that it didn't bother anything. And as that one user says, her canna ( what color? get seeds? ) love the water.

red flowers, seeds are hard enough to be fired outa a muzzle loader rifle., which they did back in the Civil war days) and Bengal Tiger or Praetoria that has adjusted to my zone. Alas the Tropicanna Canna said screw you this winter and never returned but provided some nice humusy remains to feed my two large babies. Holler at me and I'll send you current pictures.......I'm tempted to plant another hardy canna there just for contrast. A dark leaf variety that has a red flower.............digging in that muck is interesting. And I dig canna's double shovel deep. maddie (if I get seeds, I'll holler)

I had a lot of that canna at one time, but I left them in the ground and they didin't survive. They are increadible growers. If you are looking for a nice red one with dark leaves, I would recommend Black Knight. Mine just started to bloom this week. Here is link to a picture:
http://www.cannas.net/shop/product_image.asp?pid=4&catid=1&pic=fixed_4blackknightlr.JPG
I think mine is red Futurity............look on alt.bianaries.pictures.gardens for the pic of it. the website says plant them three inches........my dad taught me to plant them two shovels deep. That'd be around 20 or more inches.......wow. what a difference, eh? I think the Tropicana just froze. Given a really cold winter with long bouts of freezing, I'd possibly lose my Bengal Tigers and possibly my dad's old green Indian shot (I hope not, I brought it 13 years ago from my childhood home) madgardener

I had yellow futurity and it grew like crazy, multiplying four-fold in a year. I dug them but failed to get them out of the garage before a very early cold snap occurred and killed them.
Dump a load of leaves over the area for winter and if you have a water hose on the drain, send the water to another part of the garden so the canna rhizomes don't freeze. Out here I cove'm with leaves,straw,steer manure and come spring and good warm temps they reach for the sky.
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/canna

Hay, got a deal for you, if you tell me you'll save the seeds for me this summer, and send me your address is personal e-mail, I'll send you a start of the Omega canna I sell.

would you rather have a piece of the tuber? (we're talking which one? the Bengal tiger which is Praetorie, or the old Indian Shot, or the red Futurity) let me know. I can lift a piece of Bengal tiger and cut the stem off and ship it to you. Or same thing with the old Indian shot. The Futurity needs to mature.......first year. my e-mail is real. you can holler at me and I'll give you me addy if you'd like. maddie

The BT & PT canna don't do well here at all, they get sunburned. I had a good plant of BT and after the first hard week of our desert sun, it was toast. I might have the dark one, some where sent to me last year and they bloomed. This year the high winds we had ripped them up a lot and they are just starting to show life again. That green with orange flowers I don't have.
My addy is real too, it's just a 3rd party spam filter/good mail forward outfit that's free.

softener they have cheaper. no water softener, I have well water. and my kitchen sink also empties out this same pipe, and if I were to shower in the teensy weensy shower downstairs for apparently the tiny little woman who originally lived here, that would go out the pipe too, and the utility sink water. but just the kitchen sink and washer. How do you deal with

doesn't seem to affect the plants that I know of. The canna's seem to adore cleaning this sludge and stuff up. It doesn't stink like you would think. It's just mucky and boggy. And since my kitchen sink empties there too, I tend to mush up the stuff and hot water it down the drain. I don't use drain cleaner, but if I do grease, I cut it with Dawn first and that breaks it up to rinse down the pipes and outside. So far, so good..........my next experiment will be the Cardinal flower I got today in the trash at work. It adores boggy places.......will let you know if it thrives. maddie

Dear MG: What zone do you live in? Do you have to dig out those cannas every fall? PV

that are left in the clay soil. planted even around mailboxes. and nope, but I did lose the Tropicanna I put in with the big boys........I'm trying another kind that has a dark purplish red leaf named Futility? Futurity? red flowers, AWESOME visual. maddie

I have seen acres of cannas planted in the medians of freeways in Eastern Tennessee.

Back when I was living at home (Hawaii) we'd have drought warnings and the city required everyone to water their lawns every other day. Needless to say our lawn didn't do too well in the strong Hawaiian Summer sun with waterings every two days. I'd fill up the wash sink with the washing machine water and hauled the buckets of water out to the lawn. Also, I'd siphon out the water from the fish tank into buckets and use that too. The lawn did great!
Layne

like alkaline conditions. Remember the washing machine also cleans out our pipes so once in a while use it to flush your sewer lines.
we use all our grey water here, it all goes to plants mostly fruit trees and pumpkin vines etc.,. we have found that even wioth normal wash detergents we can cut down the recommended rate of use to about 1/3. we now make our own pure soap based detergent that works very well indead. but from our experience you don't need filters, i would suggest that you not run it in the same place all the time move it about to share it around.
len
snipped
--
happy gardening