Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Page 7 of 9
In article

Looks like the promised land from here :o))

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Ok. :-) Now we just have to convince the middle east to do that. And the chinese...
--
Peace! Om

In article

Good. Let's pass that bill here that prevents company policy from keeping guns locked in your car during your commutes, effectively making you an unarmed victim whilst commuting. <g>
Human rights vs. property rights have been a BIG controversy on that one.

California is like a bowl of Granola. What ain't fruits or nuts is flakes. <g>
I was born and raised there until we left when I was 19... I'm a happy Texas transplant!

--
Peace! Om

Oh, piss off.

Saints be praised.

Sorry, I don't get it. I have passed 99.9% of my life without the need to pack heat. Fortunately that .1% turned out uneventful :o)

Why the way I heard it was that God lifted up the East Coast and everyone who didn't have a grip slid to California ;o)

Ah ha!!!! A native Californian in denial. Welcome back from your sojourn in the wilderness. You ever want to feel normal again, you KNOW where you have to go. You can take the girl out of the state but you can't take the state out of the girl;o) Why didn't yo tell me I was talkin' to a sister? Sh-t, pantheist centrist, you be a homey, girl.

Yeah, but why follow leaders only to watch the parking meters?

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Hey babe, watch your attributions. ;-) I didn't write that!

I believe I'll pass 99.9% of my life too without "needing" said heat, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
With the economy in the toilet, crime rates are going up. More people are getting desperate. I'm just lucky to have a good job. Even then, between my "housekeeper" (a beloved friend and her family that need help) and immediate family members I'm helping out a little bit, 15% or so (sometimes 20%) of my income is going to them. And I don't mind that.
But with my new need for medical expenses (serious screwed up back), I'm unwilling to support others desperation to live by theft instead of having multiple jobs. (In the past, I've had as many as 4 jobs... "enough sleep" was an oxymoron <g>.)
Money is tight and I don't live in luxury. The only luxury items are my guns and reloading supplies. <g> It's also a fun hobby. My main victims are innocent paper targets!
And the occasional rabbit that goes into my freezer...
The other luxury item is my chiropractor.

Don't think I don't miss the West coast babe. One of the most beautiful places in the world! I cried real tears the last time I turned my back on it and drove away, about 8 years ago. My Uncle and relatives live in Encinetas.
High cost of living and screwed up politics tho', and Texas has no state income tax.

That's what paper bags are for. <g>

--
Peace! Om

Sorry Om. I was just editorializing Oz in the margins. We all know that you're strapped, I ain't gonna' fuss wit'chew.

The end game stuff is definitely a crap sandwich.

My brother is in San Marcos. Love the water in southern California, when there's not raw sewage in it. Certainly isn't the southern California of my youth. Every 5 miles now, it's the same cookie cutter shopping center and the same traffic jams. Places that used to take 15 minutes to get to now take half an hour by freeway.

Unfortunately, we don't have a monopoly on that but, yeah, Schwarzennegger for governor (M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E)? Can't say that Californians don't have a sense of macabre humor. He's worse than the guy we chased out of office, Grey Davis.

Haven't had need for a paper bag for years, but that's another story ;O)
How does that cowboy song go? "I never went to bed with an ugly woman but, I've woken up with a few."

Ketcha',
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Ok, I forgive you. <g>

Crap shoot. (pun intended)

Huh. When I visited the beach near San Diego, the water was cleaner than it was when we moved away! Used to be you had to clean the tar off of your feet when you got home from any of the LA beaches.

<lol>
"God I must have been really drunk! What did you say your name was again?"
<g>
Not me, but I've heard it from others.

Peace!
--
Peace! Om

I must have jumped the tracks back there. You were talking about an "out of service" brown paper bag. Weren't you? Damn testosterone ;O)

That's when I started using post-its ;o)

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

I knew that. <g>

<snicker>
--
Peace! Om

You're not leaving much room for agnostics and atheists but as far as I know he ran as a Republican ;O))
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Eel sauce? It might taste fine but my first reaction is that my heart goes out to you. Eel sauce. I don't even want to eat eel (elle maybe but not eel). I just consider it a testimony as to how hungry a person can get. It's right up there with the Donner party.
Some may call for vegetarianism on moral, health, or economic grounds but we are omnivores. We have four canine teeth. Our dinner is our choice for better or worse.
Do you live near a Confined Animal Feeding Operation? I don't but I have yet to read about anyone who is pleased to have them for a neighbor. Apparently, they render the air unbreathable and foul the water table. The animals live in manure which is part of the reason that abattoirs have trouble keeping the meat free of salmonella and e. coli (especially Escherichia coli O157:H7). An estimated 76 million cases of foodborne disease occur each year in the United States. The great majority of these cases are mild and cause symptoms for only a day or two. Some cases are more serious, and CDC estimates that there are 325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths related to foodborne diseases each year. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/foodborneinfections_g.htm#howm anycases
The animals are crowded together so closely that they tend to give each other illnesses. Did you know that 50% of the antibiotics used in this country are used on animals. This helps create antibiotic resistant bacteria which are a threat to us, human beings. The stress that the animals experience affects the quality of their meat. http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/meat_quality/mqf_stress.html Cows weren't meant to eat corn. If they ate corn for more than six months they would drop dead from stomach ulcers. To increase the protein in their diets, ground up fowl and sheep are fed to cattle. This isn't a conspiracy but feed producers will look at protein content and play fast and loose with where the protein came from. Even though the FDA promises to tighten up on ground up critters in animal feed next year, up to now, we have been paying Russian roulette. http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/other/bse/news/apr2408feed.html You must have heard of recent stories like the one from Chino, California, where downer cattle (cattle that exhibit BSE characteristics) were sent to slaughter. Not only won't our own government increase inspection for the health of it's population, it won't even allow producers to pay for more stringent testing themselves to assuage the fears of overseas consumers. Where do you think the cattle feed comes from? It comes from thousands of acres of corn fields.
Now here is a futuristic idea, what if we put the cattle on that land to graze on grass (their historic food source)? No stress related meat impact, reduced antibiotic use, cleaner air and water, no contamination from being fed animal residue, less crap on the animals to contaminate our food, and it would make American meat competitive with anybody's.
Wadda ya think Zoot? What would that be worth to you? Ten cents a pound, twenty-five cents, a dollar?
And if you are looking for new energy sources, look hard. We Americans use 25% of the world's energy but we represent only 5% of the worlds population. Funny thing is that everyone wants to live the way they see us live on the movie screens. India and China, representing 40% of the world's population, are presently trying to close that gap. So if you find a new energy source, make sure there will be plenty of it because a lots of people want it.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
<snip all>
Sometimes you just get this.....feeling, ya' know?
Perusal thru files gives insight, at least to me. More than I wanted to know.
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff /
Make up your own mind.
Charlie
In article

I've driven by them.

Food irradiation is safe and would render this a non-problem for both produce and meats, and would drastically increase shelf-life.
Unfortunately, too many ignorant fools are opposed to it. I wish I could get a home unit, but the price is prohibitive.
--
Peace! Om

Guilty as charged babe. If the USDA would only lable the food then we could each have what we want ;o)
Our trained taste testers noted a slight but distinct off-taste and smell in most of the irradiated beef and chicken we cooked and sampled, likening it to singed hair. In the beef, the taste was detectable even with a bun, ketchup, and lettuce. Because it was usually subtle, however, some consumers may not notice it.
Irradiated food is safe to eat, according to federal and world health officials. It certainly does not become radioactive. But a recent study on the chemical byproducts that irradiation creates in meat has led some researchers and the European Parliament to call for further studies.
http://www.mindfully.org/Food/2003/Irradiated-Meat-TruthAug03.htm
the Sierra Club and 50 other consumer and environmental groups filed a petition with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, demanding the labeling of biotech food. Bills to require labeling have been introduced in the House (H.R. 3377) and the Senate (S. 2080), and are strenuously opposed by the biotech industry. Marion Nestle, chair of the Nutrition Department at New York University, calls this opposition "self-destructive" and "the single issue that has done most to undermine industry credibility in the public mind."
At least labeling is mandatory for irradiation, a process in which blasts of Cobalt-60 or electron beams kill potentially dangerous bacteria. The FDA requires that nuked foods be marked with a stylized flower called a "radura" and a statement such as "treated with radiation." After strenuous lobbying by industry, the FDA consented to reduce the size of the label, and the National Food Processors Association is now trying to replace the word radiation ("Few consumers express willingness to purchase foods with such a label statement") with "cold pasteurization."
Irradiated meat will probably first appear in hospitals, nursing homes, and schools, where there are no labeling requirements and the industry can claim to be protecting vulnerable populations from pathogens like E. coli and salmonella. "They're using the excuse of food-borne disease," claims Wenonah Hauter, director of Public Citizen's Critical Mass Energy Project, "but it's really about shelf life." Irradiated hamburger, she says, can last 35 days; strawberries, up to 3 weeks.
Critics fear that irradiation's promise to kill pathogens at the end of the packing process will encourage sloppiness before that point. This concern was reinforced by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's shift to a new meat-inspection system (simultaneous with its approval of irradiated meat) that will focus on random visits and eliminate 150 inspectors, saving the food industry $19 million a year. Already, says Public Citizen, processed chickens are exhibiting more visible fecal matter. "Americans don't want to eat fecal matter," notes Hauter, "even if the bacteria's dead."
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1525/is_4_85/ai_63127635
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Proteins or amino acids? If it's proteins, I'll have to reconsider my handling procedure for eggs. Don't want to get cut by no egg shell <g>

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Proteins are made up of chains of amino acids. :-) Eggs are safe... The point was that the structures are chemically similar. Subtle molecular differences between compounds make BIG differences.
It's the main reason I don't trust GMO foods.
--
Peace! Om

In article

Sterilized crap is still crap ;O)
Nice whatever that is. Didn't get a lot of that in lab <g> Sometimes I just don't know if I should <g> or ;o))
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

This cite is NOT related to cattle feed lots. It relates to how the animals are treated in the slaughtering process.

Not quite right as cattle can still get to the slaughterhouse in a stressed condidition even if grass fed.
reduced antibiotic use, cleaner air and water, no contamination

Please don't go there. As a cattle producer, I prefer it if the US continues to produce the flabby, flavourless, corn fed beef it does now.
In article

Ah, another satisfied, if contentious customer ;o))
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Just out of curiosity...