Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Page 5 of 9

Huh???? Why on earth would you bother to pay for it when it is free? Sit in the sun and let your body make it for you!
In article

I'm a red head.
I avoid the sun like the plague!
--
Peace! Om

Even red heads can expose themselves to the sun in a way that will get them enough vit D. Pace your dose, no longer than 5 minutes in the sun at midday. And the sun is certainly the best source for vit D in terms of cost and pleasure. You can't garden without being outside so I'd certainly be using such a free resource. This site might help: http://www.naturalnews.com/003069.html
In article

I wear a sun hat and pants, and often long sleeves... ;-)
I'll pass.
It's too easy to get it in supplemental form.
I'd rather not get skin cancer. It's not worth it...
but thanks!
--
Peace! Om

In article

At least I'm aware of the issues with vitamin D deficiency. It's why I went looking for food sources. 1 oz. of dried Shitake has around 350 IU per oz. That's why I made a powder out of it.
Other benefits of Shitake are that it's one non-meat source of B-vitamins, (including B-12) and trace minerals. It's also reputed to have immune system boosting properties and many wood consuming mushrooms are anti-carcinogens.
Overall, it's a win-win food additive and not expensive in the dried form. Takes me minutes to make a pint jar of the powder and both dad and I happen to like it. :-) It's even good sprinkled over the top of meat dishes.
Vitamin D is heat stable so cooking it does not destroy it.
Since I've deliberately added more D to both our diets and in supplemental form, (neither of us take all vitamin supplements daily so I have to supplement it in food), dad's leg pains have gone away.
I'll run another blood profile here soon and see if his ALP (Alkaline Phosphotase) level is back to normal. That one lab result is what sent me searching for possible causes and resources.
The Dr. wanted to blame it on a possible liver problem as elevated ALP levels can indicate liver issues, but the other three main liver enzymes (GGT, AST and ALT) were all in normal range. If the elevated ALP had been increased along with those other three, then I'd have worried about a liver problem.
The simplest thing was D deficiency and since I'm in charge of making sure he gets good nutrition, (he'd eat nothing but spam and cheese omelets, and maybe some carrots if I did not cook for him!), I knew that that was one vitamin I'd not kept track of...
Neither one of us are fond of sunlight. I just plain don't LIKE to be out in the sun, and neither does he. Most of my gardening work is done at dawn, and sometimes dusk. It's too bloody hot to do it any other time of day here except late fall, winter and early spring.
--
Peace! Om

Actually it's just 'koalas'. Only American add the word 'bear', and the animal isn't a bear.

Use google. Look for Jain, Hindu and Buddhism. All these religions have adherents who have centurys long histories of vegetarianism

Yep. But it is not just "flour and sugar" which are the culprits.

????? There is no "stack" in the latest FDA food pyramid - it's side by side multi pointed triangle. In fact, I think it is remarkably unhelpful given the obesity problems in the US - it says nothing useful. http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html
Are you writing about the older pyramid with the carbs in the big section on the bottom and the small fats and oils section at the top?
wrote in message

And sugar and flour are the main cause of obesity.

A healthy diet is "snake oil?"

I simply hate that sort of gross generalisation! That is why I picked up on Om's comment in the first place!
It is not just 'flour and sugar' and to say so is simplistic.
Most obese people include too many refined foods in their diet, eat too much food at a sitting and do too little excercise. Flour and sugar are but 2 parts of a complex whole.

No, but then you already knew that I didn't say it was.
The snake oil arises when gullible people latch onto a craze (low carb being one such craze) without actually doing any research into the long term health effects of following such a diet. They usually follow such a diet without even bothering to consult a competent and reputable health professional.
And the most gullible are usually those who do it for weight loss. For example, with Atkins, people may lose weight on it, but that is not a healthy long term eating plan as if followed for too long it results in increased risks of kidney stones, lowered calcium uptake and bowel cancer to name a few. A healthy diet includes a range of foods across all food groups and should be low in fat and low in processing. That, combined with an intake that suits the amount of energy expended is how to avoid obesity. It's really not all that complex.
wrote in message

no, they are not. highly processed foods are. and don't give me the same bull about how highly processed foods are mostly flour & sugar, because those are pretty small components of junk foods.

no, fad diets are 'snake oil'. reading comprehension issues? lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

<snicker>
--
Peace! Om

Marie Dodge wrote:

Fad diets are "snake oil". And I invite anyone who believes that "all food that is closest to its original state is healthy" to go catch and eat a fugu.
--John

Most people know to gut a fish before eating. Clearly you don't.
wrote in message

And even there you can find plenty of healthful nutrition rich low-carb veggies.

IMHO fresh low carb (low starch) veggies ARE the most nutritious. ;-)
Low carb does not mean no carb. High fiber is a good thing.
Marie, have you checked out Eden Foods Black Soy Beans? The label reads like science fiction. :-) Most of the carbs are fiber so they are low in net carbs.
The only true "low carb" bean I've ever found.
And they are delicious. I have pics. They benefit from a long soaking tho' if you use the fresh. They are so high in fiber, they tend to be tough if you attempt to use them like regular beans.
--
Peace! Om

I know, I wrote stake makes me fat. that is because I don't know how to spell cholesterol. :) that is what my doctor really warned me about in terms of me not eating 1 lb of beef a day (note: exaggeration, before someone pounces on me for being a something or other).
Simon

In article

Ha, he admitted it. He is a something or other. Get the oil boiling ;o))

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Eating cholesterol does not raise your serum cholesterol either... That is, and always has been, bunk.
Sugar and alcohol, and lack of exercise will raise it higher.
But don't take my word for it... That's what the internet is for.
--
Peace! Om

wrote in message

I once knew a woman who (over a few drinks) had me well confused because she said repeatedly 'scotch makes me fat'. I thought beer and general over indulgence makes you fat. By the fourth round I had penetrated her thick Scots accent and correctly understood that what she had been revealing was 'scotch makes me fart'. I offered to get her a Laphroaig to test this but she declined.
David