Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Page 4 of 9
In article

Okay, here is an example of correlation:
Rich people drive fancy cars, therefore owning a fancy car makes you rich. So if I go buy a BMW, I'll automatically become wealthy.
Right?
Not a very good example, (I'm sure Billy could come up with something better) as I'm _really_ beat right now. I work nights and I've had a busy morning, but I hope that that gives you an idea.
Fancy cars may correlate with being wealthy, but they don't cause wealth.
Correlation does not equal causation.... but it's a great way to skew statistics to prove nonsense. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

i was vegetarian for 20-someodd years, not because i think eating animals is wrong, but because eating meat made me sick. i managed to get through a meat cutting class in college while vegetarian with no problems. i now eat limited quantities of meats, but only grass-fed or "organically" raised types. commercial meat, like from the grocery store, still makes me sick. my guess is it's something in the feed.

horse is good. kinda sweetish. llamas are pretty smart as well & when i suggested i was going to cull one of mine & eat it, i thought i was going to be hunted down & lynched by the 'llamas are cute pasture pets' people! what an uproar over an animal.

especially because he wasn't being very observant. cattle & chickens, when free ranging, are both omnivores. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Understandable. And respectable :)

I would think horse would be a bit tough, but maybe it depends on how much exercise they get. Hmm, never tried llama, never even though of eating one. I've met a few, and thought they were rather pissy, kinda like camels. I would not turn up my nose at a llama steak. I do, however, draw the line at insects. For some reason, the thought of eating bugs is very unappetizing, though I'm not sure why.

I hear ya there! <lol> In my past, I've eaten turtle, rattlesnake, porcupine, bear and squirrel. I will turn my nose up at Possum simply because I've rehabbed them and know how full of parasites they are. <shudder>
Someone would have to pay me a LOT of money to choke down an insect. :-P
--
Peace! Om

My favorite omnivore is the common Rat. Challenging to shoot them.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

In article

Been there, done that!
--
Peace! Om

I'm well aware that chickens will eat insects in preference to grain, (mine also loved it when I found a rats nest with pinks in it and tossed the pinks to them to eat)...
But COWS???
Cows eating meat is very much news to me?
--
Peace! Om

yup. they will happily munch down ground nesting bird eggs & hatchlings, as well as mice & baby bunnies. granted meat is a small part of their diet, but they aren't completely vegetarian if the opportunity for meat is present. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Hmmm... You seem to be agreeing to some of the presuppositions.

True statement above. However, that statement does not mean the presuppositions and the relations are false. It is a theory that can be tested for the truth. It may be that there is a relation between animals that eat a wider variety of food and smarter animals DOES mean the variety of food caused the smartness.
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

In article

Dan, you start with an opinion and presume it right, give a couple of lame analogies in support and then proclaim yourself victor?

Why don't we see large groups of societies of strict carnivores that has existed for hundreds?

This brings up the discussion of clever and smart. Humanity was very clever in designing a bomb that could destroy the world but, that wasn't very smart, was it.
What other animal has brought the planet to the abyss of destruction? We are good at conceptual thinking. That is our only edge but there are other forms of intelligence. Some animals know when to head for high ground before a tsunami. Others know the shortest distance to bring down a prey or how to migrate by following the constellations or magnetic fields.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Wrong analogy here Billy, you can do better than this :)
Many humans also know when to head for high ground before a tsunami (run). Many humans also know the shortest distance to bring down a prey (radar gun). Many humans also know to NAVIGATE by following the constellations (sextant) or magnetic fields (compass).
Are those really intelligence or physical skills. After all a lowly insect can kill a human. I would not necessarily call insects intelligent.
Intelligent people did design the bomb and it did end the war. No one has yet destroyed the world. Science as the saying goes "A double edge sword". Inventions can be used for good and evil. Intelligent people can kill sometimes for a good reason or for an evil reason. "Might makes right" ... Did I just quote a another stupid saying :)
Again - Cows are stupid compared to humans (on average). Remember - I did say on average :)
I know how you think Billy... so here are your answers. My Definitions. GOOD person - One that benefits the tribe in which they live within. EVIL person - One that harms the tribe in which they live within.
Stirring up a hornets nest is time consuming, I need sleep ... Dan
--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

How about vitamin B-12 without getting it from an animal source?
--
Peace! Om

Never heard of vitamin tablets?

Like I said... ;-)
You wanna by a hypocrite vegan by eating vitamin tablets where the vitamins are derived from an animal source?
--
Peace! Om

Does yeast count?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Score one for Billy. :-) Yes, Brewers Yeast is one source of vitamin B-12 and it's in a separate kingdom. Neither plant nor animal.
Fungi are a delightfully low carb, high fiber source of a lot of unique nutrition.
I've been studying Stammet's books from FungiPerfecti.com and now do my best to include mushrooms as a regular part of our diets. I also happen to like them. <g>
I was looking for a good food source for vitamin D other than expensive salmon, or fish oil. Fish oil does not agree much with me. :-P
Dried shitake's are VERY high in D without being high in A. I keep those on hand as they are inexpensive at the asian market and rehydrated, they do will in recipes.
I took some of the dried caps and broke them up, then powdered them in the blender. Shitake powder is a very tasty food additive...
--
Peace! Om

When I was in school it was a plant :O( Since it isn't animal, I think it should be considered to be part of the nutritious vegetables.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Times change... So to classification tables. <g>
After all, the guys that continue to review and change them have to justify their existence.
Fungi really are a unique organism all their own imho. They deserved their own kingdom.
--
Peace! Om

Oh, you scientists with all your Latin and Greek prefixes, and suffixes and your cool little number thingies are always trying to learn more for no reason at all. It's probably just a taxonomist's conspiracy for full employment ;O)
Yes five kingdoms (what is with this aristocracy thing anyway?) of life and five states of matter, hmmmm. Maybe I should dust off some old books on pentagrams ;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

I think I said that. <g>

Hmmm... Never thought of applying the pentagram to that. Maybe many of the taxonomists are Masons. <g>
--
Peace! Om