Is 4 inches too deep for grass seed? (I've alreay planted them 4 inches)

I have an d aerator that puts 4 inch holes in lawn. I spent 10 hours aerating the entire lawn, and hand inserted grass seeds into each hole. I am wondering if this will be ok. As Ive done it Ill just have to see. Im sure some of the seeds landed less than 4 inches. I also covered the entire land in 1/2 inch layer of sphagnum peat moss.
Any answers to this I very much appreciate.
thx
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Grass seed is generally surface scattered and lightly raked to spread it 'round. Yes, four inches is too deep. So is one inch. But, hey, cheer up, if you plow grass under it seems to regrow up from under 10 inch thick upside down mud lumps so you might see something grow.
On the other hand, you might want to surface scatter some seed just to increase your odds. Cover it lightly* with straw to protect it from birds.
*not four inches
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I would reseed. 4 inches is too deep. Also the seed needs to be much closer spaced than the spikes on an aerator.
First the ground should be worked so that it is loose. Then the seed is surface sewn at the rate on the package, then raked lightly and then covered with straw for shade and to hold the moisture in.

I have to seed the back lawn 2x a year due to heat and shade. I usually aerate the lawn, water or do it right before it rains. Then I'll throw on some starter fertilizer and top soil if needed and then spread the seed. Water again and it usually does just fine.
Michael
--
<yawn> The time change just wears me out.

http://i5.tinypic.com/2i132mb.jpg

And it still doesn't look as nice as I want. I guess I gotta be more disciplined.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

Keeping up with the small patch of back lawn I have is a chore. Most of the back yard I've dug up into garden space. The soil is not ideal for a nice, full shade lawn and to keep it decent I have to carefully seed and water it. Then in August about 1/3 of it dies off anyway and I reseed in late September. If I could get by with it I would just till up the lawn area and plant a veggie garden.
Michael
--
<yawn> The time change just wears me out.

http://i5.tinypic.com/2i132mb.jpg

Michael, this is nuts. There is something wrong with your lawn, and it's more than just "heat and shade". At what times of year do you overseed it, and what is the problem you're trying to solve?

I'm not trying to solve anything. It's a miracle grass grows at all. The soil conditions are not good for grass. I've done everything to it to keep it nice, to no avail. I've even had lawn experts out. I'm about to chop up a third of it now ;) I'm gonna add a small deck off of the one patio that flows off the dining room. That'll get rid of some of it.
Michael
--
<yawn> The time change just wears me out.

http://i5.tinypic.com/2i132mb.jpg

Hmmmm... I dont' know if he can relate to that. Hows about I tell him some nut on Usenet told me they repair the pediatric unit's heart monitor, the same way, every week using the same parts and procedures...
Michael
--
<yawn> The time change just wears me out.

http://i5.tinypic.com/2i132mb.jpg

OK. Anything that will make him think "Why don't they just find the underlying problem and be done with it?"

How big an area are you talking about?
On 17 Mar 2007 16:26:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The rule-of-thumb for planting any seed is to plant it as deep as the seed is wide. For grass seed just scratch it into bare ground and protect with straw. Read and follow the directions before planting or using any product--it will save you time and money.