Irrigation question

We have a rock yard in a semi-arid region with 60+ shrubs and small trees to water. Walking around and watering with a hose is a waste of time and I'm wondering what the best irrigation system would be.
I would prefer some sort of low tech "fill a barrel, gravity feed" tube system but maybe that won't work.
Does anybody know a good way to set something like this up?
BillC wrote:

Drip. You can bury the piping.

You might look into orchard tubing with drip emitters. Standard ag stuff.
Nick