Ironite

And someone told me that Tootsie Rolls are manufactured from turds taken from Victoria.

Rhaga Bhupal Shankar

Someone told me that Ironite is manufactured from soil taken from Superfund sites?

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Pretty close. Try "mining tailings". See, for example:

try googling [ironite heavy metal], for example.

-frank

Reply to
Frank Miles

Wow...., Frank! Thanks!

Frank Miles wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Read all of the negative stuff about the lead and arsenic in Ironite on the web (google using "Ironite + safe"), It was a hot issue here in AZ about 10 years ago when they were allegedly bagging and selling the tailings from a copper mine at Bagdad (Bagdad AZ) and are currently processing the tailings from mines in the Dewey-Humboldt area.

To be fair, also read an official response from Ironite such as the one at the U of A's archived arid_gardener Listserv at

decide for yourself.

Most gardeners here in AZ won't use it on vegetable gardens. Others, like me, won't use it at all. The arsenic and lead probably would not be taken up by the plants but could contaminate root vegetables.

Olin

Reply to
omi

Ironite has been shown to have high levels of arsenic and other heavy metals. I don't recommend using it in an organic program, or any soil program. Dry molasses sold at feed stores is a much better iron, and it is in an easy form for microbes to ingest and make available. For smaller areas, black strap molasses which has not been de-sulfured is another great way to get iron to plants. It can be used in pump up sprayers at a rate of one tablespoon to gallon of water, but thoroughly dissolved in hot water before mixing it with cold water.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux

Ironite has been shown to have high levels of arsenic and other heavy metals. I don't recommend using it in an organic program, or any soil program. =

JK - I wouldn't. Being organic and a native plant user/advocate/grower/landscaper, I am posting this =

as a general item to rec.gardens for folks who aren't organic and native and who, also, might not know about this product.

Dry molasses sold at feed stores is a much better iron, and it is in an easy form for microbes to ingest and make available. =

JK - I like agricultural molasses for those reasons.

For smaller areas, black strap molasses which has not been de-sulfured is another great way to get iron to plants. It can be used in pump up sprayers at a rate of one tablespoon to gallon of water, but thoroughly dissolved in hot water before mixing it with cold water.

Victoria

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Oh I know. I was extrapolating!