irises

Can you tell me how much water irises need in the Summer, here in California? I would like to dig up some of mine and give them to my mother, but she has no faucet near the front of her house, so all watering must be done by hand. Is this a good time to dig them up or should I wait for spring?
peta wrote:

Which end of California? Your state covers several Zones...
Generally speaking, you can let the ground dry out to a depth of four inches or so between waterings. Depending local weather, that could be anywhere from a couple of days to a week or more.
HTH
Now is a very good time to dig and thin and transplant Iris Rhizomes, as for water needs, it depends on the heat, I live out in the High Mojave Desert and have to water at lest once a week as the heat out here in summer ( 100F + ) drys out the dirt faster, but about once a week they can make it.

Telescope Buyers FAQ