Iris seeds?

I visited someone recently. He had Irises in his pond. They had made some pods. Inside the pods were what appeared to be "seeds". I have some of them dried...they're brown and when dry and crispy, they break away to reveal a black "seed". Is this really a seed? If so, what's the best way to start these buggers off? I'm in z10, south Louisiana. Perry
I've never seen L.A.Iris seeds before, but as the iris are water type plants, I would guess putting them in potting soil and kept most and warm might get them to grow. Mine have never set seed.
--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062:odyssey three

Sure they're seeds. This page http://www.gardenhive.com/q-a-forum/q-a-iris1.htm has a typical recommendation; there are many variations for how to grow them. "Seeds of irises that are normally grown outdoors throughout the year should be sown in the Autumn. By sowing in the autumn they will be exposed to frost over the winter season (stratified). Sow the seeds in trays or pots of John Innes No 1 compost or similar loam based compost. Cover the surface of the compost with sharp sand or grit to avoid moss and liverwort growing on top of the compost. Place the trays or pots in a cold frame or sheltered place for the winter. Keep the compost just moist. The seedlings should appear in the spring. The seedlings look like grass when they first appear. The vigorous varieties can be planted out, otherwise they are best kept in pots or potted up into single pots for the first year. They can then be planted out in the second year. The plants take from two to three years to flower according to the vigor of the species of iris and how well they are grown."
Where L.A.Iris normaly grow they don't get frost, their seeds don't need the cold.