IRIS problem

I have about 14 IRIS in my full sun center garden in San Fernando Valley near Los Angeles Calif. I divided and replanted these in November of

2005 and have been watering and feeding all winter. Only 4 plants produced flowers. Following Scotts bulb plant food directions, I recently fed these in spring. Any idea what I can do to produce any flowers this spring or insure I get more flowers next spring? Can IRIS still produce flowers this season?

Thanks, dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

Dave,

That might be normal. Quite often Irises take a couple of seasons to "catch up" to where they will bloom like they were in the old location. Another thing that might cause them not to bloom is if they were planted too deep.

I don't think that you can get them to produce flowers this year but you should get more flowers next year. Keep feeding them and don't cut the foliage back.

Reply to
Bill R

when you divide them, they don't produce the next year. That is why you have to divide about 1/3 per year, so you have a constant 2/3 bloom.

Reply to
simy1

What part of the SFV? If your down in the flatlands and where it doesn't get cold during the winter, your lucky to get any at all. Iris like to have a cold time of year, I've north of you in the High Desert of the AV and I've got 300+ Iris and they are just about done blooming after waking up from a good cold winter.

Something like L.A. Iris or other breadless iris group members would do better.

Reply to
Starlord

When you plant them, the rhizome should be horizontal (which might mean the fan of leaves is tilted). They should be planted very shallow; the top of the rhizome might even be exposed.

To promote flowering, you should dig bone meal or superphosphate into the planting hole. To prevent burning the already injured roots, you should then add plain soil (no fertilizer) before setting the rhizomes in order to keep the fertilizer from direct contact.

Be careful to avoid over feeding. Iris are not heavy feeders. Too much nitrogen can cause the plant to rot.

I'm about 5-15 miles west of you, depending on where in the Valley you are. My iris are blooming right now.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Dave- We've had very unusual weather here in California this year. There is an Iris farm here in Sacramento that is always delightful to visit this time of year. They didn't even bother to open for the season.

Also, Daffodil Hill which is in Amador County has been a Mother Lode attraction for decades, and it has decided to not open!

Here in Sacramento, we had double the rain of normal, and it came extremely late. All of our plants and shrubs have seemed "confused."

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat Dave-

We've had very unusual weather here in California this year. There is an Iris farm here in Sacramento that is always delightful to visi this time of year. They didn't even bother to open for the season.

Also, Daffodil Hill which is in Amador County has been a Mother Lode attraction for decades, and it has decided to not open!

Here in Sacramento, we had double the rain of normal, and it came extremely late. All of our plants and shrubs have seemed "confused."

Myrl Jeffcoat

when u plant your iris the rhizomes must be above the ground in order to promote blooming. if they are planted below ground u can end up with no blooms or a few blooms but they arent as nice as they could be. they wont bloom this year as it sounds like u did a heavy division on your iris bed. good luck. cyaaa, sockiescat

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

Many thanks to everyone who replied. The MANY comments and info were very helpful!!

I live in Panorama City, zip 91402, next to Van Nuys in the San Fernando Valley. We had a pretty cold winter. So I suspect some IRIS were planted too deep and possibly overfed. Ok, will not expect any more plants to bloom this spring.

When should I cut off the spikes with dead flowers or leaves those stems intact?

What month of year is best to dig up those IRIS that might be planted a little too deep? I shall feed less and add bonemeal when replanting and will not cut back leaves to fan shape. Will never divide and replant all

14 at same time again. Good info from all of you folks! Regards, Dave_s
Reply to
Dave_s

As soon as the last flower has closed, you can cut off the stalk, BUT do NOT cut back the fans themselves, as they are FEEDING the rhizomes along with the roots, and that is for next years flowers and increses.

Only in the dead of winter up here in the desert, when most of the fans are frost bit, do I cut any of them back, but mostly I just wait and as it gets near spring I just clean away the dead fans.

Reply to
Starlord

10 of 14 plants did not bloom this year. When is the best time to dig up 3 or 4 of those that might be planted too deep? Replant now or August or when. Many thanks, Dave_s
Reply to
Dave_s

As they have not bloomed you can do them now, the ones that did bloom can be moved now too, into a good bed with some space between them.

I clear my soil down to the hardpan and then put down leaves, hay, steer manure, I then build beds up so they are anywhere from 3 to 6 inch deep and plant the iris ontop of the soil and set up a sprikler for watering.

Reply to
Starlord