Ipomoea (moonflower) vine

I have a very nice Ipomoea vine doing quite well in the back yard. Started it from purchased seeds last summer.

I am not well versed in gardening in gen'l and Ipomoea in particular.

Now that the growing season is concluding, what should I do with it? Not sure I understand how it seeds. There are these purple "nodules" ...

Any/all info much appreciated.

Cheers, Puddin'

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I have never gotten viable seeds from ones that I have grown, hard frost follows the shorter days it needs to bloom here in CT. The big purple pods contain 2-3 seeds, I think they need more time to ripen here.

Reply to
beecrofter

Same here!

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

They didn't flower sufficiently to seed in July, Aug.?

Mine flowered like crazy in Aug. and Sept. but I am in MO, a latitude south of y'all.

I've got lots of purple pods but none look ripe. Maybe 2 weeks until we get a lite frost.

Cheers, P

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

They don't begin to flower here until September and by mid October we usually have our killing frosts.

Reply to
beecrofter

I guess I've been lucky to get the results I've gotten at this latitude.

It's curious I'm getting no responses from folks in FL, AL, MS, GA. Sounds like they do much better down in the deep South.

Oh well. If I can't use my seeds, I'll just buy more next season. "A very pretty flowering vine requiring very little attention."

Prost, Puddin'