Invasive weed/grass in my lawn

Page 2 of 2
On 7/4/2010 5:00 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Looks a bit like stuff invading my lawn in spots. Easily pulled and broadleaf killer does not touch it. I think premerge suppresses it as neighbors lawn out back is nearly 100% since he does not treat back. Pulling and premerg are my recommendations.

I started pulling today, we'll see how long my back can hold out.
I am curious how this weed propogates. The plants don't seem to have any flowers/seeds, and yet a new patch will start up 30 feet from any other patches in the yard. I can understand spreding thru the roots, but 30 feet is a long distance for a root without any visible topping. Bird dropppings???? or what????
On 7/5/10 7:07 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Grass has flowers and seeds. Many smaller grasses have flowers that escape notice. Generally, they are on short stalks and have "rays" like miniature umbrella ribs. The seeds are smaller than the seeds that speckle the outside of a strawberry.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Grass seed is not nearly so small as strawberry seed.... grass seed is actually quite large as seeds go... well, what one finds in a bag of grass seed from the store... most commercial grass seed is a mixture, even those claiming to be of a particular type still contain some percentage of other seeds, including 'weed' seed.... the physical size of a plant has little bearing on the size of its seed. Seeds produced by the lawn itself are dispersed by animals but mostly by wind, and those that stick to the bottoms of shoes as one walks about. Weeds tyically start from those produced in a neighbors lawn... no matter how much weed prevention one employs one cannot control nearby properties... many seeds can travel great distances when airborne, many miles.
hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote: ...

someplace else might be supplying the seeds for it (how it got there to begin with). or there might be seeds coming in via other means (fertilizers, composts, reseeding).
mulching mower, or animal movement (birds sometimes pull pieces of turf and mud to use as nest making materials and then drop it (oh no a hawk!)).
if those are leaf nodules on the stems some of those might be viable given the right moisture and soil conditions. any mower sucks and some of what they suck may include stems that are weakened and not deeply attached with a bit of root. instant transport to new location, regular watering and there ya go.
more than likely though, is seeds as some stems may lay flat enough to not be clipped before flowering and setting seed. after the seeds form then they can be dispersed in a near infinite number of ways (well as far as i'm concerned, there's just too many critters out there).
first and last of the above most likely. the middle is just me being pedantic. i left out the parts that get caught in deer feet because that only happens here. :)
good luck,
songbird

Well, we have cyotees(sp?), rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, hawks, owls, robins and God knows how many other wildlife types right in our own yard, so anything is possible. I guess I'm stuck doing a lot of pulling to control things.