Intro and beet question

Hi-I've been lurking for awhile and thought it was time to say hi and ask a question. I live in zone 5, I think 5b since I'm right on the edge of zone 6. I'm having problems with beets. Last year I planted some (I don't remember the kind), and ended up with a couple tiny things that never grew. This year I planted some cylindra beets, and again, they're just not growing. Out of probably 100 seeds planted as directed on the package, 10 germinated. A couple look ok, but not like I would expect them to be. Kind of weak little things that got eaten by some kind of bug. The others look like they might die any minute. Are there any special tips to growing beets? The rest of my veggie garden looks good-pumpkins, cucumbers, carrots, lots of tomatoes, corn. Well, actually the corn looks kind of strange too. Some of the stalks are 2-3 feet taller than the rest. So I guess I have a corn question too. :-) What would cause the disparity in the corn heights? Ok, that's enough questions for now. I'm sure I'll have more later since I'm kind of a novice gardener. Thanks!
Leslie

tolerate hot weather. 2. plant in loose rich soil, note they need more potash (potassium) than most garden vegetables. 3. keep surface moist until they germimate, floating row covers, plastic, even boards laying over the row can be used,
Corn: possible uneven fertility of soil, or hardpan below the surface.
Thanks for the reply. :-)

Did that.

What's the best way to get more potassium in the soil? The soil had lots of compost and manure worked into it before planting.

I'll have to look at the floating row covers. Is it too late to do that for this season to help the ones I have?

I kind of figured something like that. I wasn't super worried about it though, since I planted a lot more than I really need.
Leslie

It should be ok. I sue 10 gallons of wood ash per 100 feet of row, Deleivers both potassium and elevates the pH which beets require,
Unless you are somewhere north of Detroit, beets should be done or least finishing up. Certainly it is too hot in most areas for beets to do much growing
...>

Unless you are growing Long Keepers or Lutz. These keep growing right through the season. I have grown one of these each year for 20 years and really like them.
Guy Bradley Chesterfield MO zone 6

for the beets: acid soil? they won't grow well with a pH below 6. Pumpkins and tomatoes generally do well in acid soil. Have the soil tested.