Insects are Eating our Tree!

Over the last few days I noticed a lot of chewed-up leaves on the ground beneath our large 25 foot tree. Upon closer examination I found the following larvae attached to the leaves, as well as some fly- looking creatures (not sure if they're related to the larvae).

Can anyone identify the offending vermin? Should I be concerned about this? What steps should I take to get rid of the infestation and save the tree?

Pics at the following address:

Jason

Reply to
jseemann

What kind of tree? First determine the tree species. Looks like sawflies but the pics are not clear enough on my end. For sawflies you don't really need to do anything, they come eat a few branches worth of leaves and move on.

Reply to
beecrofter

Is that a linden tree?

The procreating insects are Japanese beetles, which appear to be skeletonizing the leaves.

The "larvae" on the leaves are spindle galls which are probably caused by a particular mite or midge.

There is tons of information concerning the control of Japanese beetles and leaf galls on the web. I am not at all sure what the best methods are. Maybe someone here will chime in.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

Yes that does indeed look like a Japanese Beetle! Also my tree does appear to be a Linden as well based on the leaf pattern. Looking in to some online sources I confirmed that the Japanese Beetle does have something of a fetish for the Linden tree.

Anyone have any tips for getting rid of the adult Beetle? Online sources seem to indicate nothing works perfectly...

Reply to
jseemann

When controling things like beetles, one should also consider what the pesticide is they use.

should be concerned about things that hurt trees starting with humans.

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere

Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
up "Tree Planting"
Mulching -
Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning

Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
Farming and Related Problems
John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

same just last week.

Reply to
Sheldon

Last year, I used an obnoxious smelling homemade onion & hot pepper spray on my grape vines. The beetles were gone the next day and never returned. That it worked so well makes no sense, but it did work.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom