Indoor water plants

Are there any plants that grow indoors in a container of water? (Kinda like lucky bamboo) I have seen some plants in a glass jar of water.
Thanks.
anything in the cyperus family. papyrus. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ted) wrote:

I have Pathos. Devil's Ivy, Spider Plant Babies and even a Diffenbachia growing in water jars. They are all doing well. Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
On 3 May 2004 10:28:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ted) wrote:

I have lots of plants growing in water. Dracaena, carrion, ivy, wandering jew, coleus, even cactus! But, in general you'll get a healthier root system when grown in the proper soil mix. My lucky bamboo is growing in pebbles, but I have a friend who is growing her's in sand and it is doing exceptionally well.
philodandrens do really good in water. They will get just as big in water only as they do in planters with dirt. Sweet potatoes also grow a really cool vine in water.
<snip>

You totally lost me on this one. How does one grow sweetpotato in water? Will they develop sweetpotatos in their roots in water?
I would love to try it. How do I start from a sweetpotato? I'm sorry to be the total novice here.
Thanks.

I used to have a sweet potato vine many, many years ago. It doesn't produce sweet potatoes but the vine is beautiful. I remember putting tooth pics in it and suspending it from a blue mason jar so only part of it was in the water. Someone told me awhile back that you can't use the store bought sweet potatoes anymore because of a process that is done to them before they reach the store and they can't grow anymore. Can't remember what the process was called. Anyone know if this is true or not? Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
@aol.com says...

You're probably talking about irradiation. I think you'll find that it's use depends greatly on the area, as some people believe it harmful, and others believe it safe. It inhibits sprouting, so if your local sweet potatoes are treated in this way, you're best getting one from a health food store - it's highly unlikely to have undergone this process.
I'd say give it a try if anyone wants to grow them - the worst thing that'll happen is that it won't work :-).
BP