Indoor Palm Plant Problem Help!!

I have a palm (dont know what kind) large fan leaves 7-8' that I brought in for the winter, I supplement the low light levels with a

150 watt dayspot grow bulb, I also keep a humidifier in my living room due to statis and dryness in the winter, anyway, all of the sudden there is a white almost powders but kind of small rice looking stuf on the leaves, I decided to wipe off the leaves with water and found that its all over the palm even in the trunk areas?

Should I get a fungicide for indoor plants and wipe off with soapy water what I can then use the fungicide with giving it less water?? Please help, this is my only and favorite plant.

Thanks, Willy

Reply to
Willy

Indoor palms are spider mite and mealy bug bait.

To a Google search to figure out which one you have and act accordingly.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

What you've got is probably mites. Take the plant back outside and wash it off with a garden hose. Then make up a soap solution using real soap not dish detergent and add to it a cup of garlic powder. Use a sponge and wash the remaining bugs off the fronds and trunk. This is not a permanent solution to the problem and will probably have to be repeated once or twice while the palm is indoors. The rain washes mites off the palm while it's outdoors and there's, hopefully, no rain in your house.

Reply to
Ricky

Dust some of the white spots onto dark paper. If they move, they are insect or mites. If it is too cold outside, try putting the palm in the shower inside the house to wash it. Water temperature can be regulated as well as the temperature of the room.

Reply to
nancyg

Yup, Meal mites. I spoke to local nursery and they said to drag it outside and wash off the mites, then treat with orto isotox, repeat in

10 days and get a good insecticide for the soil as well.

Thanks for the help everyone.

-WL

Reply to
Willy

Isotox? Insecticides don't work on mites because they are arachnids not insects. What you need is a miticide to kill them.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...