Indoor gardening questions

Unfortunately, I am an apartment dweller and am forced to garden inside. I'm using a plastic covered greenhouse for growing tomatoes and peppers (among a few other house plants). I've got the humidity quite high, but this seems to be working because the plants are doing well and starting to fruit. However, dead leaves turn into instant mold problems when they hit the soil. I've just sprayed the soil with some 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Was this a good choice? It's pretty harmless and I know that it works for mold control when you're growing mushrooms. Also, I'd like to garden all through the winter and was contemplating using a small pail and a fish tank heater to keep the temperature up in the greenhouse (it's right by a drafty window). Final question: Other than a high pressure sodium or a metal halide light, is there anything else that would actually make a difference to my plants indoors. I've heard that the grow lights you buy at the hardware store are pretty much useless as most of their output is in the wrong spectrum. What about the light from the top of an aquarium? Would it work?

Reply to
Mook23

I've tried indoor vegetable and herb gardening a long time ago. The main problem is getting enough sunlight, and without that the flavor is not so good. Sodium vapor lights might work, but the cost is prohibitive compared to the yields. You will need some kind of ventilation too. African violets grow exceptionally well under fluorescent lighting.

Reply to
Phisherman