In this Corner Vinca Minor In This One Creeping Charlie

I have spent hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours planting a shaded area around my pergola with dense concentrations of Vinca Minor, only to see the bed infested with Creeping Charlie. I thought Vinca was supposed to choke out competing plants? After three years, I see little evidence of this. Every spring , it's a tussle royal between these two plants. After three years, Other than hand weeeding, is there anything that will get rid of the weed and not harm the Vinca?

Larry

Reply to
hhhmayo

Consider PACHYSANDRA terminalis (Japanese Spurge). Try not to purchase as it expensive and it can be pulled and plugged in if a neighbor has a patch. We got a lot and our vinca is minor in growth habits compared to PACHYSANDRA. Stands about 9 inches tall though.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Having had some (bad) experience with Creeping Charlie, I suggest transplanting your Vinca to a temporary "safe haven" and spraying Charlie with a strong dose of RoundUp Ultra --- not once, but as often as it takes to wipe it out, since you almost certainly won't get it all the first round (seeds yet to sprout). Then replant the Vinca after you're absolutely sure Charlie is gone. Like poison ivy, you may need to do a little hand weeding later, but it should only be an occasional skirmish, not an all out war.

Reply to
bop_pa