Impact sprinkler

Anyone have any ideas why an impact sprinkler would rotate fine in one direction, but not return? I have tried varying the water pressure up and down, checked for debris, tried moving the collars around to different spots and heights, but the trip pin just sticks on one side. Any help appreciated!
Chris

Think I got it. Looks like one of the arms was slight bent up and was brushing against the head. This was stopping the rotation just as the trip pin was getting into position. 2 hours of frustration could have been avoided with 2 seconds and a pair of pliers.
Chris
On 9/6/2010 1:09 PM, Chris wrote:

If it is an actual "pin" that is sticking, and you can disassemble to that point, get some silicone grease from a hardware store, and lubricate the pin itself. It feels like anything but lubricant (it's sticky as all get-out) but it works like a charm, and won't wash off.
Tony M.

A couple web sites I checked- Rain Bird and Toro- both said that's to be avoided at all costs. They said it will work for a while, but soon the lube will start picking up particulates and that can clog the system badly, or even cause significant early wear on the parts. I have no experience with the matter in sprinklers, but I do know that the first thing you do with a rifle fresh from the factory is scrub every bit of grease off of it, and for the same reason (although perhaps with somewhat more catastrophic results).
Chris
On 9/6/2010 6:05 PM, Chris wrote:

Always best to follow the manufacturer's advice, yeah. My experience with it was the float in my water softener that was sticking, preventing it from recharging properly. The manufacturer specifically recommended silicone grease for that, and it did the trick there. Just trying to think of something that might help.
Tony M.