If you like cherry tomatoes...

I've grown Sun Gold Tomatoes for the past 6 years here in southern NH, and I can't say enough good things about them.

For those who don't know this variety, it's a cherry tomato with a bright orange color and the most intense tomato taste ever. And best of all, it grown like a weed. They are very vigorous and each cluster (for lack of a better word) has about a dozen tomatoes on them. It peak season right now and each day I go out I pick nearly 30-40 of them (and that's just from 2 plants). Of course all the rain and hot weather we've had has helped. I've also planted then in containers and they seem to do almost as well except the fruits are a bit smaller.

Just wanted to pass on my experience, and to plant a seed (no pun intended). Because if your like me and already thinking about next years garden...

-Kevin

Reply to
Toonartist

Everyone raves about Sun Gold! I'm surprised I hadn't heard of them before this season. They're definitely on my list for next year.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Yes, I have grown Sungold here in the UK for several years. Whilst other varieties have come and gone, Sungold is always reliable and tastes fantastic.

In recent years, I have often lost tomatoes due to Blight. However, even though many of my other tomatoes have been affected by blight this year, the Sungolds have carried on producing.

Give 'em a go.

Colin

----- (Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)

Reply to
Colin Malsingh

My favorite today is Sweet 100's but perhaps I'll try this variety next year. Thanks for the heads up.

Reply to
sparkie

Jackie,

Tomato plants should be planted out in the garden after all danger of frost is past for your area.

Here in the Ohio Valley, I start my tomatoes inside sometime abound March 1st and plant them in the garden in May (usually about May 15th depending on the weather).

If you are going to start them inside use a "seed starter" mix and start them in small containers (the four or six packs that annuals come in are good). After the seeds get started I use a weak (one quarter strength) fertilizer. When the plants get larger and have a good root system I transplant them from the the six packs into individual containers (I use plastic yogurt containers).

Reply to
Bill R

Reply to
Jacqueline Davidson