Identifying unusual tree ?

+ I couldn't figure a better way of getting the photo here, so I put in on a blog page :)
http://stu7blog.blogspot.com/2005/09/unusual-tree.html
Here, again, is the text with that picture:
"This unusually tall, branchless tree sits next to the parking lot here... my first impression was, it's like something from one of those "Elsa the lioness" shows filmed in the african tundra... my second guess was, it's more likely an american elm :) Any tree people here who can identify this for certain ?
Thanks
P.S. - this is growing here in Ohio... but, as suggested, I can't recall seeing one quite like it before." (end text)
*** Two responses named this as black locust, and, *** I've been able to find many web photos backing this *** up, via leaves *** Thanks again to all who helped... I am now the only *** person in my building who knows what our tree is :)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It'd be much more useful if you could describe the leaves. There are a number of basic tree keys out there based on leaf characteristics.
Here's one for Ohio that might be especially useful. It has a glossary to help with some of the specialized terminology, and the PDF version has pictures. http://ohioline.osu.edu/b899/
DrLith wrote:

Looks very similar to some weed sycamores we have growing opposite our house, even down to the ivy or whatever it is gowing up the trunk
For photo's I use flickr www.flickr.com - they have a neat system that actually gives you a link to your pic to copy & paste into a message, blog etc.
+ Mikey - Thanks... yep... I have been finding numerous photos of sycamores which also have this upward sweep of limbs or trunks, rather than spreading outwards... so, for now I'll go with "weed sycamore" :)
DrLith - I agree... leaves are a best way to be sure... or fruit... but I didn't get near enough to see that kind of detail, and leaves aren't falling here yet. Thanks for that link also... looks like a good source for Ohio trees !
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If you do happen to get close enough to see the leaves, American sycamore has leaves that look like maple leaves on steroids. Very large, often 6" or more across. But the most distinctive thing about sycamore is the bark--it peels off in scabby-looking layers, so you get this mottled patchy look of white, grey, brown, and greenish.

Probably a type of Locust, possibly Robinia pseudo-acacia. The younger branches and twigs will be noticably thorny.
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com