Identifying My Lawn

Hello,
I am having problems identifying exactly what is growing in my front lawn. It kind of looks like grass when the blades shoot up but instead it is a patchwork of shoots that connect. It looks like a weed when you pull it out of the yard though. Someone had told me that this is called "monkey grass", however my research has shown that it doesn't much look like it.
I'd like to kill it all and put seed out this spring and could use your help in identifying it.
http://www.webgazelle.com/images/IMG_9389.jpg
http://www.webgazelle.com/images/IMG_9388.jpg
Thank you.

It looks a lot like crabgrass. Read this on how to control it. http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/pubs/ay10.htm