Identify this "Dr. Seuss" plant, please

http://rademakerdesign.com/dr-seuss/dr-seuss-plant.html
I'd like to find out how to take better care of this odd-growing plant in my office, but I can't find it in any of my books. Thanks in advance for your help!
I'd like to find out how to better care for this odd-growing plant in my office, but I can't find it in any of my books. Thanks in advance for your help!

Start with a search on the critter. Here's yours at: http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week215.shtml
They tolerate up to 66% shade. You don't need to do much to them at all. They like to be touched gently too. They faithfully clean the air, do not require lots of water but do like warmer temperatures up to 75 degrees as a standard fare. Osmocote works well with them. You can cut back the stems to encourage new growth. They can grow to 10 ft. In some cultures, this is considered a good luck plant for finances...
Sherman.
This is a Dracena Marginata, good for low light, keep on dryish side and if they get too tall, just cut them off where you want to and new leaf buds will form, then you can put the top part in a plant pot ( of course with potting soil) and it will grow also! I have so many around my house outside (Florida) cause everytime I trim them, I put the top into the ground and it grows!
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Yes indeed, its a very badly grown Dracaena marginata.
There are a number of pachycaul shrubs that better qualify as "Dr. Seuss" plants because they are supposed to grow that way. The genera Pachypodium and Adansonia in particular come to mind.

if
outside
it
On Thu, 06 May 2004 19:21:22 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
I kind of like it the way it is. 'Properly' grown ones look like regykar ol' houseplants. This one has an interesting sculptural/Seuss quality that makes it interesting.
Look again, Buckwheat.
Dracaena marginata never looks like a "regykar ol' houseplant" with its narrow red margined leaves and reptilian prominent leaf scars on the stems. Maybe you have never seen a well grown large specimen.

AKA: A Money Tree. Sherman.

Thanksfor all the responses!
I don't know how the plant got to be that shape, but it's never been exactly lavished with care. I can't imagine anyone did it on purpose. I'm now repotting a smaller plant that was grown from cuttings. Great news about it being a "Money Tree" - I could really use one of those!
-Dusty

On Sat, 08 May 2004 20:57:55 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

Nope, not in the flesh. I looked at pictures on the web. Found one other sculptural one, and several that appeared to be well-treated. I like the Seuss ones.
http://www.ardice.com/Science/Biology/Flora_and_Fauna/Plantae/Magnoliophyta/Magnoliopsida/Bombacaceae/Adansonia /