identify fruit tree??

I posted on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens but have only gotten one guess - persimmon - and I don't think that is it....
my nephew just bought this house and we have no idea what kind of tree this is.
Very similar to persimmon but note the weird little point sticking out on the side - look carefully at pix #2 and you'll see the point on the left - and the cap is very ruffled, whereas the persimmon has 4 separate top lobes. ALL the fruits that are left on the two trees have that funny little point sticking out on the side and all are very green. Maybe yellow later. They are about the size of a tennis ball. Maybe some variety of persimmon?
He bought the house from a Vietnamese couple who had planted the garden there. So maybe some thing Asian?
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/plant/plant.html
Any help very appreciated!
Sterling in Atlanta
It is definitley a persimmon. It looks more like japanese persimmon, the leaves are entire and very shiny, whereas the native persimmon has serrated leaves. You can tell by the fruit- the japanese are usually more egg shaped and and the natives are usually more rounded.
Toad