Ideas for improving this second-generation home composting method

Page 2 of 2
David Hare-Scott said

Hmmmm, maybe that's my problem. Too small! :-) (oops)
On Tue, 14 May 2013 23:10:18 +0000, DirtBag wrote:

I took all your advice to heart, and added two more steps to my composting sequence:
1. I now rake the compost over a larger area than before (in order to aerate it and allow bacteria their freedom).

2. I disinfect the compost bin in the kitchen with chlorine (to keep the mold away, which has been happening lately).

PS: The wife has been complaining about the smell of the pool chlorine in the kitchen; so I have to clean it at night.

Those bacteria are what you want to break down the compost. Adding chlorine to house air is a bad idea.

Keep the container sealed. I put coffee grinds, spent flowers, pistachio shells, and leaves in mine. Nothing smells. The actual compost is 99% yard waste. You mentioned pulling weeds and not composting them. That does not seem logical. If you give it enough time the seeds won't survive.
--
Dan Espen

DirtBag wrote: ...

or use worms and let them take care of it. they do much better in the ground where temperatures are moderated the location can be less visible to "the management".
most scraps can simply be buried, if done deeply enough there's no smell or problem with vermin/bugs. leaves are also broken down more quickly if buried with some dirt mixed in instead of just left in a pile on the surface.
for bones it's much better if you can grind them (if you don't trust your meat source you may want to cook them well first) before composting, but in the end the earth's critters will take care of them one way or another.
i worm compost a great deal and study decomposition techniques. :) more fun than a mere human should ever be allowed...
songbird
On Wed, 08 May 2013 18:50:17 -0500, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

After googling, as suggested, I decided to experiment adding that new liquid element into the compost:

Danny D said

I apply such liquid after dark - when I take the dogs out for a wee.
The wife is none the wiser.
On Thu, 16 May 2013 01:01:29 +0000, DirtBag wrote:

I'm sure mine wouldn't use the compost ... if she knew.
Danny D posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

3 in 1 oil ?
--
Tekkie

On Wed, 22 May 2013 20:42:38 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

Naaah. Something with a bit more natural nitrogen in it.