ID this type of farm BRIDGE, please

The OP asked a) whether there would have been irrigation ditches without bridges, and b) how did the water get out of the ditch and onto the field with a pump. My response answered both of those questions. Ask someone for help if you can't understand that.

Reply to
FarmI

She's posted to say that there were small pools of white water on her windowsills and it was only when touched that she realised it was ash on the top. She's also written about how the sky looks but other than that, I dont' think it really had a huge impact on her circs.

Reply to
FarmI

That's good then. Some news reports had mentioned Scotland as being affected.

Reply to
Ann

Ah, you are changing your story, the mark of a true troll! (Longevity on a group had no bearing on the determination of a troll).

She was asking if there would have been THESE ditches without such bridges, and how would you get water out of THIS ditch without a pump. You answered neither question, but possibly brought confusion to any reader who might not understand how siphons work.

Reply to
Wallace

UPDATE: Heard from a volunteer at the (very minimally staffed) local historical society: "The farmer installed a bridge across the ditch so he could move his machinery across to the adjoining field."

I have my doubts. I'll shoot it again, but I really don't think the bridge is wide enough or the boards strong enough to support vehicle traffic. And as of 2005, the farmer didn't own BOTH of the adjoining sections (though that could have changed). Besides, the bridge is halfway down the field without a barn or tractor storage shed in site. Why not access your field closer to the paved road/barn/corner of field?

He also says the ditch system was installed AFTER the WPA era (1930s). But that doesn't seem to mesh with the antiquated state and style of the bridge.

RW

Reply to
MNRebecca

Thanks for the update.

You can research at the County Recorder's office to see who owned each parcel over time. Although one or both parcels could have been leased out, too.

I thought the bridge might have been useful for moving livestock.

Moving livestock and/or pumping water would suggest locating the structure at the middle of the parcel's side along the ditch. Equipment, not so (I agree with you - that would suggest placing the bridge closer to the road or barn).

Reply to
Wallace

Then it is confirmed that it's an irrigation ditch system? Did he give a better date on when it was dug than after the 30s? Or what government agency did it?

Imo not much can be determined from the condition of the wood deck, other than it not being used for anything heavy recently. The original deck has long since rotted away. And, the bridge was not necessarily new when it was place over the ditch; it could have been salvage.

Were it not for the fact that the bridge is so narrow, getting from one field to another is a reasonable explanation. Farmers do sometimes share equipment/work across property lines. And my grandfather's farm had a r- o-w across a neighbor's property to get to another parcel he owned. What a farmer of that era here did when faced with a small stream was drive across it. I know nothing about irrigation ditches but by guess is there are rules against that sort of thing.

Reply to
Ann

The only way that would work for moving livestock is if the bridge was located in the corner of a field that is no longer there. Livestock are very difficult to move to a point in the middle of a fenceline or stream. Fences to move the livestock along into a narrowing point is what would have been needed.

Reply to
FarmI

I haven't changed my story at all. You just can't read competently.

No, that was not the question asked. Try rereading what was written.

The question was 'would there have been ditches without these bridges' (the answer to that is yes, there would have been). The next question was 'how did you get the water out of the ditch and onto the field without the bridge/pump system' (the answer to that is the syphon system I mentioned and that Dean also knows about).

No that wasn't the question asked. No mention whatsoever if 'these' ditches or 'this' ditch.

You answered

You need to get out and look at irrigation ditches and how irrigation is done. As Dean mentioned, these days pumps are mostly used but that is not the only way to apply water from an irrigation channel and nor is the irrigation channel shown by the OP the only way irrigation channels look at all times or across a whole farm.

If you got out and actually looked at irrigation channels and you might have some sort of clue about how they could be used without access to a pump.

Reply to
FarmI

The ONLY way? Ridiculous. We have gates in the middle of a fence and move the cattle through them all the time. Not too difficult.

Reply to
Wallace

I am fully aware of farm and ranch irrigation and drainage systems. You keep trying to say I don't know about or understand siphons. I keep telling you siphons won't work with the ditches the OP is concerned about.

Goodbye!

Reply to
Wallace

It could also be that the ditch was initially constructed as a drainage ditch, and also (or later) used for irrigation. Check into any districts that may have built the ditch. It sounds like there must be a fair network of these ditches.

Reply to
Wallace

Not exactly true ALL the time. Growing up we had a herd of

40 cattle plus a few milk cow's. We moved them from point A to point B all the time and it's was 1 mile in traveling. Us kids did it ourselve's all on our own. And they had to cross a 200 foot wooden bridge. Crossing the bridge and all the stomping sounds they made, did not bother them. Drove them right down the main that was the main road at that time.

Cows may not be the smartest animal in the land but they do learn. When they know they're leaving a field that's been eaten up, they won't fight the roundup as they know they're literally going to greener pasture.

Been there.

Donna in WA

Reply to
Lelandite

True. Milking cows are an exception to that rule. They know the routine better than their humans do.

Growing up we had a herd of

Reply to
FarmI

And I keep telling you that the OP did not ask a question about any specific irrigation channels. The question was a general one about how to get water out without a pump. If you have the knowledge you say that you do, you should be able to apply it. You have shown no capacity to do that.

Reply to
FarmI

Interesting reading! The Patterned peatlands of Minnesota By Herbert Edgar Wright, Barbara Coffin, Norman E. Aaseng

Wallace

Nope, yourself.

You just don't understand how a hydralic ram operates.

It uses the kinetic energy of a stream to raise a small portion of water well above the level of the stream.

Reply to
John Gilmer

John, you are wasting your time.

Reply to
Wallace

Odd. My neighbor back when I was kid supplied his entire household and livestock with one. There was no "drop into the ram" - it ran purely on the stream flow. I realize I am wasting my time but...

A ram operates by a stream of water in a pipe suddenly being stopped by a valve. the resultant surge compresses air in the champer which pushes a small amount of the water into the discharge pipe through a check valve. Vavlves reset and the flow is reastablished only to be stopped again. Wash, rinse, repeat. It does not pump much water each cycle but it operates 24/7. A cycle repeats every few seconds.

You could look it up on the 'net. Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I do but I'd love to see a cite that would prove me wrong. I have a use for such a beast.

A stream can certainly be used to do that with a hydraulic ram but the stream must allow the water to drop into the ram not just flow past it gently like the water does in a slow moving irrigation channel.

I'd certainly be very interested to see a pic of any hydraulic ram that works as you say it will. I can't see how a slow moving stream can make use of the water hammer effect that gives the 'ram' its name but I'd certainly like to know more details. Can you post a cite please.

Reply to
FarmI