ID this tree/plant/whatever (pic)

Several of these are popping up randomly in my yard. They are deciduous and grow very fast, like a few feet per year. What is it?
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/gardened/Img_1063.jpg
Doug wrote:

I would say either Pecan or Walnut. Search Google Images and see if you can find matching pics.
-Jason

Looks too bushy for walnut.
Doug wrote:

I vote for tree of heaven (Ailanthus)
Doug said:

Tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima) a nasty, stinky, weedy tree. Best removed when first sprouted as they develop hellishly persistant root systems which relentlessly resprout.

I vote for sumac.
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

glenon wrote:

Could be. The OP should look at the leaflets. Sumac has toothed leaflets, but the ailanthus has only lobes at the bottom of the leaflets. Another common name for ailanthus is Chinese Sumac and I always remember it as the Tree that Grows in Brooklyn.
Looks like sumac....
Gloria
Several of these are popping up randomly in my yard. They are deciduous and grow very fast, like a few feet per year. What is it?
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/gardened/Img_1063.jpg

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but they pop up all around here. I consider it a nuisance plant although the leaves get pretty in the fall.
The only good thing about sumac is if it's Staghorn Sumac (the kind with the points of the plant are covered with berries), it makes great pink lemonade! and high in Vit. C.
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

It looks a little bit wrong for smooth sumac, but I can't say exactly how it looks wrong.
I have smooth sumac against the south side of the house, being a lightweight tree. Its disadvantage is that it dies and/or breaks sort of randomly, but it gives a nice screening shade pattern in the summer. It sends up all sorts of shoots except where you'd like some more. Lawn mowing takes care of them in short order.
Some of the trees have berry bunches that last into the next spring, where early Robins and late Cardinals get them.
When they mature, they're pretty tall and leave the lower altitudes leaf-free, so you get a nice old-growthy forest in a few years.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

My nom-de-plume is also Doug. No problem, Doug.
(Henceforth), - Dougie. **************