ID this plant?

Bought this flower at Home Despot. Was no name on display. Everybody tells me it's TWO flowers, but I only planted one!
Nursery says the open one is Petunia. Is it?
What is the other one?
http://i29.tinypic.com/2qn1wfl.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">
http://i29.tinypic.com/2qn1wfl.jpg">
http://i29.tinypic.com/2qn1wfl.jpg

(Hope this works; I'm kinda new at uploading pix to NGs)
Tx
Higgs Boson wrote:

The trumpet-shaped one with the dark centre is a petunia and although the other one looks familiar I cannot think of a name for it.
David
Higgs Boson wrote:

Yes, the larger flowers are petunias. I believe the others are either torenia or nemesia. (I had some in mixed flower pots this summer but they died and I can't find the name stake.)
gloria p

Thanks, Gloria and David.
Gloria, since you had this plant -- when should I deadhead and how much? The torenia/nemesia is getting leggy.
Tx
nice pic, I only recognize the trumpet one, while the other is really a mistery ... :D Anyway, love them both, may be a god creation for this combination ... just kidding though.
--
modpod77

could the second plant be Schizostylis? They look very familar to the ones I have. Grow to about 1.5 ft tall, kind of resemble those of gladiolus. Spikes of showy pink/purple, and they like sun.
Donna in WA
message

Higgs Boson wrote:

Yes, I had it, but it died, remember? I can't keep those small filler plants (including lobelia) alive in a mixed pot.
Deadheading of annuals is usually done as the individual flowers die. You can cut it all back by 1/3 I suppose but it will take quite a while for new buds to form. They may not even form before a killing frost. It's yours to experiment with. (Perhaps cut back just sections of it and see how they do?)
gloria p

We don't have frost here at the coast.

Sounds like a scientific way to go. Still not sure whether to cut back to the ground or deadhead part way. May try a little of both.
Tx

Higgs Boson said:

Yes indeed: the larger flower is a Petunia.

It's hard to tell, but based on the asymetry of the flowers, the white 'eyes' and the sprawling tumble of the plant it could be something like Chaenorrhinum 'Summer Skies' or 'Blue Dreams' which are commonly used as filler plants for planters and hanging baskets.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI